Feeding with mealworms as the only protein source

Pics
I highly caution against feeding mealworms more than a few (think low single digits) daily. Let me find the article I wrote about my hen that died of fatty liver syndrome caused by too many mealworms.

Edit: Shucks, I’m on the app, so I can’t link it. It’s in my profile under Articles, called Keyword: In Moderation. Sorry about that.

I highly caution against feeding mealworms more than a few (think low single digits) daily. Let me find the article I wrote about my hen that died of fatty liver syndrome caused by too many mealworms.

Edit: Shucks, I’m on the app, so I can’t link it. It’s in my profile under Articles, called Keyword: In Moderation. Sorry about that.
Thank you, I'll try to find it. I'm working on researching some other protein sources too so I'm not using only mealworms since so many people are telling me the same thing. I'm planning to try sprouted clover and lentils, and alfalfa if I can get it.

I'm also curious if anyone has used dried minnows or shrimp as an alternative to dried mealworms as treats? When the ducks were babies I was looking for a healthy treat in Tractor Supply, and ended up with the minnows instead of mealworms because they were a lot cheaper. It looks like minnows are quite a bit lower in fat, although it does vary by brand.

https://www.chewy.com/little-farmer-products-pond-picnic/dp/299134?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Little Farmer Products&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwq9mLBhB2EiwAuYdMtSXaeTODZakk7aqj6ObCwQl9QpXFUvGODONrxI-uIOuNzjUR13i4YBoC9FoQAvD_BwE
I would be moderately concerned about fish bones and the size of the chick(en) getting the treat. As long as that’s not an issue, it sounds worth a try.

I would be moderately concerned about fish bones and the size of the chick(en) getting the treat. As long as that’s not an issue, it sounds worth a try.
What is the concern about fish bones?

If it is the reasons people need to be careful - the bones are much more flexible when raw.

What is the concern about fish bones?

If it is the reasons people need to be careful - the bones are much more flexible when raw.
The minnows originally referred to are not raw, I believe. If they are processed sufficiently to make them crumble or small enough for the chicken to safely swallow whole, then all is good. If not, I would be concerned about a piercing, choking hazard.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input; and I know bagged feed is the easiest way to make sure they are getting proper nutrition. They are currently on layer feed and I'm not going to start experimenting on them with my guesses. However, I can't imagine that all historical chickens were nutritionally unbalanced and unhealthy before the relatively recent addition of bagged feed to the market. I am sure there are combinations of foods that would work for them. I want to do some research on this, and talk to anyone else who may be ahead of me or had experience feeding this way.
My chickens free range. I don't give them layer feed, because they eat a natural diet. I give them whole oats, whole sunflower seeds, bird seed mix, mealworms, their own egg shells back( roasted with garlic, thyme and oregano) and oyster shells when needed. That is to supplement if it's a slow foraging day. I add some brewers yeast and garlic, and every once in awhile, diatomaceous earth for deworming. Oh, I make them special, 'feather growing' treats when necessary and I throw them organic matter from the garden. But no more store bought layer feed. I have healthy, big, productive chickens. My customers say I sell the best tasting eggs, not to mention the nutritional quality of pastured eggs. BUT...
I learned the hard way. I spent money on feed they didn't even eat. Every time I cleaned and changed everything, there was layer feed left and my whole seed mix-ins where eaten. They scratched all the layer feed on the floor to get to more real food. SO! That's what they get, and it's much more cost effective. I am, as I stop to respond to this, in the process of building my own mealworm farm! So much money to be saved, and nutritional fun for my flock!
Peace and blessings!

My chickens free range. I don't give them layer feed, because they eat a natural diet. I give them whole oats, whole sunflower seeds, bird seed mix, mealworms, their own egg shells back( roasted with garlic, thyme and oregano) and oyster shells when needed. That is to supplement if it's a slow foraging day. I add some brewers yeast and garlic, and every once in awhile, diatomaceous earth for deworming. Oh, I make them special, 'feather growing' treats when necessary and I throw them organic matter from the garden. But no more store bought layer feed. I have healthy, big, productive chickens. My customers say I sell the best tasting eggs, not to mention the nutritional quality of pastured eggs. BUT...
I learned the hard way. I spent money on feed they didn't even eat. Every time I cleaned and changed everything, there was layer feed left and my whole seed mix-ins where eaten. They scratched all the layer feed on the floor to get to more real food. SO! That's what they get, and it's much more cost effective. I am, as I stop to respond to this, in the process of building my own mealworm farm! So much money to be saved, and nutritional fun for my flock!
Peace and blessings!
Thank you for sharing how you do it; that's very encouraging! Those all sound like food sources that are easily available.

Back
Top Bottom