Feeding with mealworms as the only protein source

Pics
There are only 10 commercially available non-gmo crops produced and sold in the U.S. Field and sweet corn (not popcorn), soybeans, alfalfa, cotton, sugar beets, papaya, canola, squash, apples, and potatoes. GMOs save lives. And even most corn, soybeans, and apples are gmo now.
This is extremely misinformative. This is the exact opposite of what's FDA approved. Only these are sold as GMOs. Apples are not even commonly GMO. It was only approved in 2017 and most consumers still reach for named varieties of apples that have been established for YEARS. Arctic Golden and Arctic Granny are the only two I can even find and are absolutely not making up a majority of apple production by a long shot. They're very new on the market. I am not arguing that GMOs are not helpful, but when you use blatantly wrong data, the strength of any point made is lost

Apples are not even commonly GMO.
Cosmic crisps are the only one I've tried. I digress. Apples don't reproduce true to type anymore because of what we've done. I consider that GMO. yes the original info I typed was wrong. I was copying it from a book and read it wrong. That's on me. But I'm not going to delete it because its a way for others to learn being wrong is ok. We're all human

Too muxh reliance on the "Science" offered by the Big Ag feed companies in the bysiness of selling "You" feed and not enough common sense. Chickens are primarily Carnivorous. Free Rangers like mine hardly ever eat commercial layer feed except in the winter when there aren't any "bugs" to eat. I suppliment my"girls" feed with meal worms to provide protein and fat. I also feed them fresh greens from trays of sprouted barley/wheat/oats, etc.

Learning about nutritional needs of chickens can guide your feed decisions. I will only offer how I raise my birds. I have 24 Sussex Hens that were hatched out here on my farm. They were raised by very smart hens that were also raised here on my farm. After 2 generations of totally free ranging and being taught by the rest of the hens the notion that "they have been bred to need a vegetarian layer feed" is nonsense. Chickens that don't regularly have "bugs" in their diet develop a low grade systemic Salmonella infection that infects their eggs. No thanks. I prefer to feed my birds as if they are still Southeast Asian Jungle Fowl because genetically that is their foundational DNA.
On my farm the birds get one ustate New York winter to adapt or they perish.
26 hens average 20 eggs per day almost year round.
As for how many mealworm trays will you need, my system of 25 trays provides me enough dried worms to feed my 30 chickens, & 30 Ancona Ducks (25 ducks/5 drakes). 10+ dozen fertile chicken eggs/10+ dozen fertile duck eggs per week is enough work for these old bones. Sussex roosters grow very fast and average 5 lb. dressed birds to eat so I continually hatch extra eggs. My duck eggs are continually hatch as well. I love eating duck too. I raise geese for meat too.
Any way developing a homemade feed for your birds takes research so explore the actually nutritional need for your birds from educational institution not funded by Purina etc. An agricultural college often will be more helpful.
Why are you putting random words in quote marks? And not all commercial feed is vegetarian.

Cosmic crisps are the only one I've tried. I digress. Apples don't reproduce true to type anymore because of what we've done. I consider that GMO. yes the original info I typed was wrong. I was copying it from a book and read it wrong. That's on me. But I'm not going to delete it because its a way for others to learn being wrong is ok. We're all human
Not breeding true does not make something a GMO. Quite far from it. Here is a quote from Purdue University explaining them on a very basic level:
"With that in mind, GMOs are living beings that have had their genetic code changed in some way. While conventional breeding, which has been going on for centuries, involves mixing all of the genes from two different sources, producing a GMO is much more targeted. Rather than crossing two plants out in the field, they insert a gene or two into individual cells in a lab"
Not reproducing true to type is the opposite of a GMO. That is beyond even artificial selection, that's natural selection. Apples do not reproduce true-to-type due to the natural crossing of varieties from pollination which has absolutely nothing to do with what "we have done." It's how evolution of species works and all are ever-changing. To combat this grafts are taken of many common apple varieties to retain traits wanted from previous artificial selection. This avoids any chance for crossing the DNA of various varieties. The definition of what is or is not a GMO is not an opinion-based question. It is a scientific term for modification of DNA and not up to personal discretion.

I apologize for the harsh tone, I just want to make sure on this educational site that correct information is conveyed. I would hate to have members getting confused on a straightforward topic and continue with trends of misinformation. :)

yes the original info I typed was wrong. I was copying it from a book and read it wrong. That's on me. But I'm not going to delete it because its a way for others to learn being wrong is ok. We're all human

You could go edit the post.
Either do a strikethrough like this: non-gmo
Or add a note at the bottom "Edit: this a list of gmo crops. I mistakenly said they were non-gmo."

That would be a great way to show that being wrong is OK, and that correcting errors is also OK.

Apples don't reproduce true to type anymore because of what we've done.

Apples, like almost all fruits, have NEVER reproduced true to type from seed.

This is why we have been grafting fruit trees and vines for about as long as we've had agriculture. The Bible even mentions the grafting of grapevines.

I've been reading and reading this thread and do not any of you feed your chickens scraps? It has always been the done thing on the smallholding I was brought up on as it saved on money, they would be given any scraps. I give my chickens what is about to go out of date in the fridge. They love cauliflower cheese and mashed potatoes, pasta... they adore meat. What doesn't get eaten off our plates goes straight to the chickens. A friend of mine gives his leftover vindaloo and takeouts to his flock, I'm not sure I would go that far though. I just wonder if we look too much into what they should and shouldn't be eating? I've not had my chickens long as I'm sure you know and maybe I'm about to be shot down in flames... but my Mum always cooked up peelings and made a mash for them... chickens will eat anything and mine really like pizza..... *hides and runs for cover* :eek: :lau :lau

I've been reading and reading this thread and do not any of you feed your chickens scraps? It has always been the done thing on the smallholding I was brought up on as it saved on money, they would be given any scraps. I give my chickens what is about to go out of date in the fridge. They love cauliflower cheese and mashed potatoes, pasta... they adore meat. What doesn't get eaten off our plates goes straight to the chickens. A friend of mine gives his leftover vindaloo and takeouts to his flock, I'm not sure I would go that far though. I just wonder if we look too much into what they should and shouldn't be eating? I've not had my chickens long as I'm sure you know and maybe I'm about to be shot down in flames... but my Mum always cooked up peelings and made a mash for them... chickens will eat anything and mine really like pizza..... *hides and runs for cover* :eek: :lau :lau
As you are in the UK I think I should point out that it's actually against the law to feed scraps here. Yes, yes, the law's an ass, but you still need to know that you're breaking it because ignorance is not a defence that stands up in court.
The relevant page of the gov website is here
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...craps-to-farm-animals-because-of-disease-risk

Back
Top Bottom