Feeding with mealworms as the only protein source

Pics
now we've left the EU, Defra can and are revisiting a lot of these regulations, so hopefully a more sensible approach will be taken, on kitchen scraps and on insect protein, very soon.
I live in EU, and it’s not forbidden to give kitchen scraps to you’re own backyard chickens! There even is a new brand of chicken feed in the Netherlands that makes feed from left overs from human feed factories.
Dried insects in feeds are not forbidden either. That the meat from slaughter houses and wasted food from restaurants is forbidden in chicken feed is a good thing because it was a hazardous protein source .

Here the organic feed is way more expensive too. But there is a reason for it. The cheap feed contains cheap and poisonous GMO ingredients.
I pay 25 euro for 25 kg organic feed.

Here the organic feed is way more expensive too. But there is a reason for it. The cheap feed contains cheap and poisonous GMO ingredients.
I pay 25 euro for 25 kg organic feed.
OML I don’t pay that much, about 5 dollars less than that for 40 lbs ( 22 euro for 18kg)

that's great news! can you please provide a link to somewhere I can read more about it?
https://www.evmi.nl/nieuws/circulair-kippenvoer-gemaakt-van-reststromen-uit-voedingsindustrie

First part with google translate:
Kipster markets circular feed for hobby chickens. Nijsen Company makes it from residual flows from the food industry, such as broken crackers, oat shells and leftovers from bakeries. "What does not reach the consumer and that is not wrong with it, is contained in this feed," says Kipster.

Many foods are lost in production for many reasons: a misspelling on the label, baked too long, a slicing machine malfunctioning, and so on. Kipster gives these remains a new purpose. Mixing the right leftovers into a nutritious and safe chicken feed was not easy. Quality assurance in particular proved difficult. "This feed has been preceded by four years of development and experimentation. The complexity of apparently simple recycling makes it a world first."

Back
Top Bottom