Feeding your flock amidst of feed shortages

Pics
Wandering out to check on the birds, do a final egg gather, and make sure the electric fence was hot (it was), noticed a (small) eastern diamondback which was not sufficiently afeared o' me. Which is to say it froze, rather than running as all wise predators should.

On my land, everyone has a purpose.

Human-tolerating venomous snakes get decapitated, their body to feed the birds. The birds thank it for its service. Head is in the burn bag.

If’s you think the numbers are much better, let us know what you find out. The international grain council predicted low grain supplies in the spring and harvests increased slightly over last years. Corn was up, wheat was down. Milling grains are in low supply (flour).
The nature of shortages is that they are a surprise. If you knew a shortage was about to occur you would prepare. It will occur when NOT expected.

I do not know what the numbers are or where to find them, which is why I asked if you have a source for the number you gave.

I know that some things that sound odd are actually true, and some are actually false, which is why I explained my thinking in hopes that you could help me figure out which catgory of odd thing this was.

Here are some of the latest figures of world grain production and stocks and inventories. It’s actually a record harvest globally this year but inventories are being drawn down this year. The shortages we see here and there are more likely logistical problems.

https://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/csdb/en/

I spoke with the manager of a local Tractor Supply Co. outlet in north-central Arizona today; he knows me well enough to be honest.

He said that, yes, their orders have been shorted minorly in the past couple months, but nothing that amounts to anything more than a nuisance or inconvenience. Some of our shipments are coming out of California, and I'm hearing horror stories on driver shortages from my trucker company friends in Southern California. We discussed, and believe it's more supply distribution network problems, not actual shortages.

What he's afraid of, with what I believe is rational cause, is that the first noticed shipment shortage, along with rumors on forums like these, will START a massive hoarding run on feed and thus produce a shortage exactly as happened with toilet paper months ago.

Fine and dandy--sales are sales. BUT toilet paper keeps. Chicken feed doesn't, at least not the same way. Strategize accordingly. Figure out alternative strategies and feeds in advance.

Here are some of the latest figures of world grain production and stocks and inventories. It’s actually a record harvest globally this year but inventories are being drawn down this year. The shortages we see here and there are more likely logistical problems.

https://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/csdb/en/
Report from earlier this year, International Grain Council. Shows world production, consumption and remaining stocks. Check out soybean stocks compare with consumption.

https://grainsprices.com/article/15965
Thank you.

Even in good times we have only been just over 50 days away from running out of grain globally.
So is this actually a measurement of how much grain is in storage from previous years, measured when the new crop of grain gets harvested this year? That's not nearly as scary as what I thought it meant.

Back
Top Bottom