Feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OrpingtonDave, Jan 11, 2010.

1. OrpingtonDave

OrpingtonDave New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Catharpin Virginia
    I am new to raising chickens and have a question about feed. I am currently mixing about 2/3 laying mash and 1/3 scratch grain. My hens are laying well and just wanted to make sure that this is a good mix. I also want to make sure that my Rooster is getting the right nutrition. Any advice?

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Hello Dave, and [​IMG]

The layer food should be fed straight, as is, and the scratch is more of a treat. Some people will say the layer food has too much of a certain vitamin ( I forget which one) for roosters. I have always had the roosters eat what the girls do, as there isn't much of a way to feed them seperately. They all get treats such as oatmeal, yogurt, veggies, fruits and greens a few times a week.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I agree with the PP. The laying mash is nutritionally balanced to provide everything they need. If you "water it down" with scratch, they won't be getting everything they need, especially because the scratch is like candy for them so they'll eat it first. I bought a bag of scratch in September. Every couple of weeks I go out and get a handful of it and let them eat it out of my hand. Fed as a treat like this, the bag will last forever. They get so excited when they see me go to the scratch container - practically hop from foot to foot waiting for their treat [​IMG]

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    If you want eggs you feed layer and not scratch. Scratch puts weight on chickens and lowers protien so they will NOT lay as much. It is junk food but OK in winter as a way to keep weight up.

5. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the layer strait during the warmer months, and during the frigid cold I mix in some Flock Raiser.

6. OrpingtonDave

OrpingtonDave New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Catharpin Virginia
    Thanks for the advice. I'll use the scratch as a treat and feed them straight laying mash with the kitchen scraps they get every other day or so. Nice to have all these experienced people so willing to help!

7. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

I use 50 Layer/flock raiser or gamebird
    2-3 cups Scratch or Corn (daily in winter) as a treat
    Oystershell Freechoice
    Grit Freechoice

plus greens & kitchen scraps daily....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by