feeding

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Are you talking about when a broody hatches her chicks will she keep laying? She will start back up laying after she raises her chicks. Keep the broody and babies separated from the rest of the flock until the chicks are old enough they won't get hurt by any other hens or roosters. Momma will protect her babies, but it helps to keep them in their own place for a while or section them off. The chicks should not have oyster shell until they are ready to start laying. You can keep some out for the momma but don't mix it into the food so the babies eat more than they should. They won't naturally eat it unless they need it.

Unmedicated starter with oyster shells and mixed grains/seeds is what I feed my flock all the time. Just don't let your oyster shells run out as the starter doesn't have enough for laying hens.

You may wish to offer some scratch as well to your older hens- just call them over and toss a bit out to them.

In the winter they do need more grains as they burn a lot of energy staying warm. Now that it is about spring if you still have snow on the ground (I see you are in the north) they will appreciate some grains fed along with the starter.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom