feeding

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by verhey1999, Mar 11, 2015.

1. verhey1999

verhey1999 Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    when my chicks hatch out in the coop with the rest of the flock and i put them all on starter with oyster shells:confused: will they keep laying eggs?:confused:

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Are you talking about when a broody hatches her chicks will she keep laying? She will start back up laying after she raises her chicks. Keep the broody and babies separated from the rest of the flock until the chicks are old enough they won't get hurt by any other hens or roosters. Momma will protect her babies, but it helps to keep them in their own place for a while or section them off. The chicks should not have oyster shell until they are ready to start laying. You can keep some out for the momma but don't mix it into the food so the babies eat more than they should. They won't naturally eat it unless they need it.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Unmedicated starter with oyster shells and mixed grains/seeds is what I feed my flock all the time. Just don't let your oyster shells run out as the starter doesn't have enough for laying hens.

You may wish to offer some scratch as well to your older hens- just call them over and toss a bit out to them.

In the winter they do need more grains as they burn a lot of energy staying warm. Now that it is about spring if you still have snow on the ground (I see you are in the north) they will appreciate some grains fed along with the starter.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

TwoCrows has given you some good advice.[​IMG]

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by