Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
It takes 25 hours for eggs to develop, and longer than that for the nutrients in any feed to be metabolized. Are you sure the feed is the only thing that changed? Weather? Anything? I'm fairly certain that wouldn't change that quickly.
Everything is the same except for the feed. In fact my husband is the one who came to me about it and asked me to feed them goat feed. He said he wanted to see if we got more eggs. So I did. And the next day got 11 more eggs. 19 all together. Since then, we’ve gotten between 19-28 eggs everyday since about 5 days now since the switch.

I believe, giving them cooked rice and pinto beans adds Lysine , which is necessary for egg production. I have a new flock , still on T/S grower feed. They have been laying fine still. Of course the growth feed is 20% protien.

For those of us with issues greater than normal in these shorter daylight months and have found success with feed changes or lights in coops or whatever thing helped you produce eggs from your flock stick to it. Clearly something is not normal and no one has to prove anything on here to anyone when it’s you not getting your breakfast or selling a few dozen eggs to break even on enjoying your flock. Think this entire thing has gone crazy at this point. I know I’m out on commercial feed for all of my livestock from here on out I believe in it that much.

I believe, giving them cooked rice and pinto beans adds Lysine , which is necessary for egg production. I have a new flock , still on T/S grower feed. They have been laying fine still. Of course the growth feed is 20% protien.
We eat rice daily and I always give them the scraps. With feed prices so high I have started giving them anything left behind. They pick beef bones and pork bones clean as well!

I am so glad i looked here today! We have only had backyard chickens since 2019 so our experience is limited. We have kept 12 or so layers and are accustomed to egg production dropping off but WOW it dropped to ZERO in December. At first i thought they were eating the eggs so we checked to coop more often.
Funny i did in early december realize the dumar feed from Tractor supply did smell different but didnt put it together until just now.
I guess i need to find a local supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom