Feeds with Soy as the protein base..

chickboss

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
I am feeding an organic feed with soy as the protien base and although it is listed as having the correct levels of protein for each stage that I am feeding, I am concerned that they are not processing this type of protien correctly. My young pullets while molting have developed darkening combs, and my layer flock has started picking and eating each others feathers. I started adding more protien to their diet, such as cat food, eggs, meat ect. and saw a noticeable difference especially with the young pullets and their comb color. Just to experiment, and make sure that it wasn't developmentle I took them off the protien supplements, and we are right back to dark combs. This makes me think that either soy protien is not readily absorbed or that the protien requirements over all are underestimated. Any thoughts... I am looking at switching feeds, and just would like to know if others have noticed any of the above. I would like to stick with organic feeds, but if what's available in my area, does not match their nutritional needs I will have no choice but to switch. Thanks..

I switched my chicks last year from a soy based feed over to a nonsoy one, and now I'd rather fight than switch back. I use Countryside Naturals, and I love the stuff, even though it's very expensive to ship a single bag from Virginia to North Texas, where I am. I can buy organic feed locally, but it's all soy based, and I don't want that. Countryside is organic and fish meal based, and also includes Fertrell's nutritional supplements right in the feed.

Thanks for your reply. I will check them out, but can only imagine that it would be too expensive with shipping. I am in Oregon, so it would have even further to travel. Plus we have a lot of chickens, and live in an area that is economically depressed (lol, well, more than some I should say, I think we are all still economically depressed
smile.png
) I can't imagine I would even come close to recouping costs...but I will see. If anything, I can get some ideas and check into having a custom mix made up. That may be over the top to. I am trying to find out if I can just buy fish meal and what the cost on that would be.... Good to know I'm not the only one who notices a difference.

Edit to say that I checked it out and it would come to nearly $60.00 a bag with shipping.
ep.gif
Thanks though, it looks like really good stuff!

Last edited:
From some of the conversation about soy-based feed for chickens potentially exacerbating internal egg laying and now these symptoms, what are y'alls thoughts on feeding an appropriate organic, soy-less feed and then supplementing with organic, hormone-free protein from other sources? Would that work? Would it matter if it were hormone-free beef or chicken? Y'all have me curious now.
smile.png

I am thinking that as long as it is a meat/fish based protien it would be by far better than plant based. Chickens really don't care. I am looking into fish meal because I am thinking about moving kind of in the same direction you are talking about and I figure I might as well get the extra benefits of all the fish oils as well... but price is always a factor and I don't know about cost yet. I would like to hear more about soy based-feeds and internal laying. I just know that I work reallly hard to keep a healthy flock and they look like, well , you know, and I am really not happy about it. If they are expressing it on the outside, I imagine their insides aren't very happy either. I was thinking about having a custom made organic grain mix, and then, like you said, supplementing the protien in somehow. I only have enough of this feed left over for about a week, I'll be giving them extra protein while I finish it up, and then either way they are off of it. I think Metzer's Farms (waterfowl) has an interesting chart that helps you calculate the protein values in a custom mix of your choice. I'll have some time to check later, and I can post the link if anyone would be interested.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

I would suspect an Amino Acid imbalance rather than a digestibility issue.

Jim

Could you elaborate?
smile.png

LOL, nevermind. We have sun here in Oregon for the first time in awhile, I think it has affected my brain.....
tongue.png

Last edited:
Have you googled to see if there's an Oregon supplier of soy free feed? There must be some, because I searched a little and kept getting hits from farms selling eggs from flocks fed nonsoy feed. They must be getting their feed from somewhere nearby....

Thanks elmo, I keep doing searches for Organic feeds, I'll try the other way.

Back
Top Bottom