Feedstore day old quail vs. hatching eggs?

pawtraitart

Crowing
13 Years
May 30, 2007
Idaho
What is the average price for Jumbo Brown Quail as day olds? I'm weighing the cost of hatching eggs vs. buying chicks at a feed store this year. Just need a basic idea on chick price.

In my part of the woods the feed stores sell them between $1.50 up to $2.00 for the way high side.

Egg prices depends on the breeder or distributor.

Some of the immediate pros and cons to consider;

Do you have an incubator rated for game fowl and plan on continuing to hatch your own? If no is your answer that is an added expense.

Buying from a feed store you don't know really the condition of the quail...health wise and genetics...or are they really even jumbo or just wild type with that label.

Do want chicks immediately or can you wait the week or so for your eggs to ship to you...and another 18ish days for the chicks to hatch? If you can wait, then you would have a better idea of what you're buying...keep in mind there are many, many resources to buy eggs from other than flea bay. sometimes price reflects quality, although I do know there are great breeders on this forum that sell via that organization too...just do your homework.

I said more than what you've asked for, but just want to help you ensure a positive quail experience instead of having all the cards stacked against you.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Well, I really want true jumbo quail, so maybe the feed store isn't the best choice. Who has the real jumbo quail? I have an appropriate incubator to hatch my own. I'm sure I will want to hatch now and then to fill the freezer. I'd like to be able to sell extra chicks, too.

That's a true jumbo. They do vary in size between 13 to 15 ounces, some more.

If you want a jumbo coturnix, find a reputable breeder and work from there; lineage is important in getting good stock.

Last edited:
Well, I really want true jumbo quail, so maybe the feed store isn't the best choice. Who has the real jumbo quail? I have an appropriate incubator to hatch my own. I'm sure I will want to hatch now and then to fill the freezer. I'd like to be able to sell extra chicks, too.

There is a breeder's list in the stickies that tell who sells what...keep in mind cold winter months aren't the best for mailed eggs...although, there have been a few on here that has had good luck with cold egg hatches...

IMO, you've made a good choice for starting with good stock! And before you ask...or someone else speculates motives, no, I do not have any jumbo cots.
smile.png

There is a breeder's list in the stickies that tell who sells what...keep in mind cold winter months aren't the best for mailed eggs...although, there have been a few on here that has had good luck with cold egg hatches...

IMO, you've made a good choice for starting with good stock! And before you ask...or someone else speculates motives, no, I do not have any jumbo cots.
smile.png

I have better luck with cold shipments than the warmer months but that is just me. No development in the mail and let them rest and they are good to go. Best hatches ever. But that is just me :)

yuckyuck.gif
Bill lol

Maybe its time you get into them Bill lol

I am going to order some jumbo eggs from QL and a couple other sources soon, that way I can get some true jumbo's to start a good breeding program for the locals that want them for food.

To the OP that asked the questions, I would DEFINITELY buy eggs or birds from a reputable breeder if jumbos is what you want, I have been screwed over a few times by "smart guys" at local feed stores that sell me something that I dont need or want by misrepresenting the birds. A good breeder will supply you with actual pictures of their birds or the chance to tour their farm if they are close, references, and a good solid reputation. We have a few of them on here and if you want to ask a question about a particular breeder when it comes time feel free to do so and we can all help you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom