Feeling deflated

Apr 29, 2019
I lost a hen today and I have another who is possibly ill. This is my first flock I've had for a little over 4 years and I feel chicken keeping just isn't for me and I'm feeling very deflated today.

I left town Saturday afternoon, came back Monday morning and I don't see one of the hens. I look inside the coop and she is clearly unwell. I go to take her out and see her back is wet and I know it's going to be bad. I pull her out and see the flystrike. I immediately put her in water to try to remove and drown them. But she was too far gone and I took her to the vet for euthanasia. My husband and I were discussing her behavior this last week and trying to remember anything unusual. We couldn't recall anything so not sure when it set in.

Then there's my other hen. Her comb has been dull for about a week, I thought it was the 109 heat. But the weather has cooled since last week and her comb hasn't changed color. Today she's doing a couple of odd behaviors. She won't sit down. She bends her knees, her bottom just touches the grass and she gets back up. And she's also repeatedly swallowing, mouth closed most of the time. Sometimes slightly open. I believe she is eating, drinking, pooping, foraging normally.

I did check the other hens for flystrike and cleaned their bottoms, I didn't see anything. The coop has been cleaned and I'm going to clean out the run now.

Sorry for your loss of your hen with flystrike. That is a horrible thing. It can occur with a wound, a soiled vent area, or when a hen is spending a lot of time on the floor in damp bedding. Your heat has been pretty bad, so I would offer the other hen water with electrolytes and vitamins, or plain water and give 2 ml of Poultry Cell or NutriDrench orally. Does she lay eggs normally? Is her crop empty, full, soft and puffy, firm, or doughy? Can you recheck it in early morning before she eats or drinks? Also check her for lice and mites. A fan in your coop blowing out a far window can help with ventilation and may discourage flies.

I lost a hen today and I have another who is possibly ill. This is my first flock I've had for a little over 4 years and I feel chicken keeping just isn't for me and I'm feeling very deflated today.

I left town Saturday afternoon, came back Monday morning and I don't see one of the hens. I look inside the coop and she is clearly unwell. I go to take her out and see her back is wet and I know it's going to be bad. I pull her out and see the flystrike. I immediately put her in water to try to remove and drown them. But she was too far gone and I took her to the vet for euthanasia. My husband and I were discussing her behavior this last week and trying to remember anything unusual. We couldn't recall anything so not sure when it set in.

Then there's my other hen. Her comb has been dull for about a week, I thought it was the 109 heat. But the weather has cooled since last week and her comb hasn't changed color. Today she's doing a couple of odd behaviors. She won't sit down. She bends her knees, her bottom just touches the grass and she gets back up. And she's also repeatedly swallowing, mouth closed most of the time. Sometimes slightly open. I believe she is eating, drinking, pooping, foraging normally.

I did check the other hens for flystrike and cleaned their bottoms, I didn't see anything. The coop has been cleaned and I'm going to clean out the run now.
Just popping in to say you’re not alone. Chicken keeping can be really deflating.. sad. I too am feeling it. I just lost 2 girls in 4 days. Both to reproductive type issues. This is the hard part of keeping chickens. There truly are many more good days than bad. Hang in there ♥️

Back
Top Bottom