Feeling frustrated: brought Marek's into my flock

Sahraschweiss

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
Wildwood, Missouri
I thought I did it right.

This is my second year with chickens. In February, I decided to expand my flock by adding blue and green egg layers. I found a local breeder that is active on my local groups. He had cream legbars and silverudds among others. Purchased 6 birds. 2 creams and 4 silverudds. All 3 weeks old. Very quickly I found that 3 of my silverudds were cockerels. No worries, I had a good breeder that had agreed to take the boys back.

I kept my 3 new girls in a brooder in the house for 4 weeks. There was a bump in the beginning with Coccidiosis in the beginning, but I treated for that and it cleared up. After 4 weeks I moved them to the see no touch section of the coop and run. After two weeks I merged. The girls stayed together but never really chickened like the others. I wrote it off as being different breeds to my existing collection of 20-- buffs, rocks, wyandottes, sussexs, and sexlinks.

Then around 17 weeks the first cream had leg paralysis. I tried so many things with that girl. Vitamins, syringe feeding...vet visits. We had her culled when we got the blood panel back for Marek's.

A week after that my year old Sussex had what we thought was a respiratory infection that wouldn't respond to antibiotics. She died. She was a strange girl that hard molted her first winter before she turned a year.

Then sudden death of the other cream.

Then one of my 1 year old wyandottes had rapidly developed tumors at the feather follicles. Lab work consistent with Marek's. She was culled. She hard molted her first winter before turning a year too.

Then sudden death of third new girl, the silverudd. Her comb never stood up. We suspected heart condition, but didn't get a necropsy.

During the time when new girls were in quarantine, one of the buffs hatched 4 barnyard mixes. Now one from that group was culled today for ocular Marek's. He was 22 weeks.

It seems that for the past several weeks, everyday I go out to the coop thinking, who is it going to be this time.

The coop is 8 x 12 with forced air ventilation. They have a 3,500 square feet of a completely enclosed aviary protected by hotwire. Water is a circulating system with UVA filtration.

All of my birds are pets. They have names. We give treats, have evening drinks. They chill at my feet and chatter at me with soft murmurs and purrs. Same with my 2 roosters.

This is my second year, and boy has it been a hard one.

I quarantined for 4 weeks and still brought disease into my flock. Now what do I do? A mass cull of current seemingly healthy birds seems pointless and cruel. Marek's is every where they have been and can stay there for years if I understand correctly. To start over would mean moving.

I thought I did it right.

This is my second year with chickens. In February, I decided to expand my flock by adding blue and green egg layers. I found a local breeder that is active on my local groups. He had cream legbars and silverudds among others. Purchased 6 birds. 2 creams and 4 silverudds. All 3 weeks old. Very quickly I found that 3 of my silverudds were cockerels. No worries, I had a good breeder that had agreed to take the boys back.

I kept my 3 new girls in a brooder in the house for 4 weeks. There was a bump in the beginning with Coccidiosis in the beginning, but I treated for that and it cleared up. After 4 weeks I moved them to the see no touch section of the coop and run. After two weeks I merged. The girls stayed together but never really chickened like the others. I wrote it off as being different breeds to my existing collection of 20-- buffs, rocks, wyandottes, sussexs, and sexlinks.

Then around 17 weeks the first cream had leg paralysis. I tried so many things with that girl. Vitamins, syringe feeding...vet visits. We had her culled when we got the blood panel back for Marek's.

A week after that my year old Sussex had what we thought was a respiratory infection that wouldn't respond to antibiotics. She died. She was a strange girl that hard molted her first winter before she turned a year.

Then sudden death of the other cream.

Then one of my 1 year old wyandottes had rapidly developed tumors at the feather follicles. Lab work consistent with Marek's. She was culled. She hard molted her first winter before turning a year too.

Then sudden death of third new girl, the silverudd. Her comb never stood up. We suspected heart condition, but didn't get a necropsy.

During the time when new girls were in quarantine, one of the buffs hatched 4 barnyard mixes. Now one from that group was culled today for ocular Marek's. He was 22 weeks.

It seems that for the past several weeks, everyday I go out to the coop thinking, who is it going to be this time.

The coop is 8 x 12 with forced air ventilation. They have a 3,500 square feet of a completely enclosed aviary protected by hotwire. Water is a circulating system with UVA filtration.

All of my birds are pets. They have names. We give treats, have evening drinks. They chill at my feet and chatter at me with soft murmurs and purrs. Same with my 2 roosters.

This is my second year, and boy has it been a hard one.

I quarantined for 4 weeks and still brought disease into my flock. Now what do I do? A mass cull of current seemingly healthy birds seems pointless and cruel. Marek's is every where they have been and can stay there for years if I understand correctly. To start over would mean moving.
If you want, you can cull all of your birds that you have now. Then, buy chicks that are vaccinated for Marek's. That seems to be the best bet. I recommend feeding electrolytes and vitamins for the first week of their life. Marek's can hide in birds and show when they are under stress.

I'm sorry you're dealing with Marek's. I'm not an expert, though I have it in my flock as well. Our chickens are for food, though most also have names and watching one after another decline is frustrating. Even now, as I prepare to go outside to refresh water buckets, I'm not sure if I will find the sickest still living or not. I lost one this week and have another bird confined with what is still mild paralysis only. Sometimes I can go a couple months without a sick bird, but this summer/fall has been harder than ever. I share all this because, as you wonder what to do with the rest of your flock, I also have lots of healthy (if infected) chickens. I believe I brought Marek's home in 2018. I still have at least 15 birds from that time living and healthy today. It's your call, based largely on your desires, how to proceed with chicken keeping, but there can be a future. I also began keeping Muscovy ducks as part of accepting that the chickens could not provide food for us to the same level as they would if I weren't losing those I do to Marek's. No sugarcoating, you'll probably lose more, but you probably won't lose them all.

Honestly the only thing you can do is order vaccinated chicks now. But they will still catch and spread it from what I understand, they just won't have the symptoms that cause death
Culling and getting vaccinated chicks still won't change that Marek's is in the environment. I would just have chicks that would have less severe symptoms. The flock would still need to be closed.

The birds it seemed to impact the most, were birds that weren't as robust as the others. Early molters, slow to mature, loners.

My buff that went broody twice and hatched clutches both times is a tank. She gained her weight back both times, has beautiful feathers and not a symptom shown...knock on wood. When she goes broody again, I wonder which is more stressful, hatching or broody breaking.

Culling and getting vaccinated chicks still won't change that Marek's is in the environment. I would just have chicks that would have less severe symptoms. The flock would still need to be closed.

The birds it seemed to impact the most, were birds that weren't as robust as the others. Early molters, slow to mature, loners.

My buff that went broody twice and hatched clutches both times is a tank. She gained her weight back both times, has beautiful feathers and not a symptom shown...knock on wood. When she goes broody again, I wonder which is more stressful, hatching or broody breaking.
But it will prevent death a lot better

Back
Top Bottom