Feeling guilty knowing my Cockerels days are numbered...

I feel you! I raised some hens for eggs and then after being in it for a while I realized that if you want to keep getting eggs you have to rotate your birds which is a nice way of saying kill them all and start over. I myself have kept animals my whole life but this is the first time I've kept animals for food and even though I bought them for eggs a time will come when I'm just feeding a bunch of birds. I originally gotten too when I started they were both over the age of eight and I had them well had the female passed away of natural causes a month ago and I still have the male. I also hatched a bunch of eggs to raise them thought it'd be fun, half of them turn out to be roosters and I still have them. So 4:00 at my house in the city you can imagine what it sounds like and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be faced with the same thing and having to get rid of them for much of the same reasons and that's really going to suck! After hearing how they've treated in the industry you don't really want to be a part of that, but your husband probably has the right viewpoint. They are fun but ultimately all things that are grown are usually grown for food. Still I don't think I could eat any of these roosters I like them too much. And right now there's a buzz about one of them because this morning it appeared he laid an egg. And I know what everybody says that's impossible. But I've been going over this all morning and I can't come up with any other explanation for how that a got into his box into his locked up coop so maybe it'll turn out that one of these males is special, it would mean his life would be secure. Don't know really what to tell you except that it does suck and it's supposed to cuz if it didn't I don't think I'd like who I would be.
Hens can look like roosters and lay eggs.

I wanted to come back here and thank everyone for your encouragement. The cockerel really picked up his crowing this week so it was time. I caught him for my husband, handed him off and decided to watch from a distance. It was quick. My husband was able to dress him and get him on ice in less than 10 min and now he looks like any other chicken I would purchase at the store. I’m glad I watched. I feel like it helped me remember this animal is no different than the food we purchase for our family at the grocery store every week.

I’m hoping it gets easier each time. It doesn’t feel good but like all of you said, I’m giving them a very pleasant life while they are here. Thankfully the rest are all hens so they will hang around for a few years.
It is better to know where your food comes from. He lived a better life than 99% of the meat birds you'd buy in the store.

Back
Top Bottom