Feeling guilty knowing my Cockerels days are numbered...

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
We can't have a rooster where we live so you can imagine my disappointment when I realized one of our TSC pullets was actually a He. The plan has been to wait until he started crowing and making his presence known and then harvesting him. My husband has absolutely no issues with the process. He has been a hunter and chef his whole life. He sees chickens as fun animals to watch but essentially they are food. I am also a hunter but have never actually raised livestock myself. Dogs and cats are the only animals ive raised so it's hard for me to separate pet from livestock.

This morning heard a very distinct (though croaky) crow coming from the chicken run as I walked out there. He's been making little hoots here and there but this one was clear. I know that means it's the end of the road for him. I don't necessarily have an emotional attachment to him, but I just feel so guilty. It's basically my call to tell my husband when its go time, so even though im not the one physically ending its life, I am sending him to slaughter. I need to get past it as we have also decided to rotate out the hens every 2-3 years in order to keep young healthy layers, but this first one is tough.

How do you move past the guilt of raising something for food? does the guilt ever subside? I love having these birds. It's been such a joy for me to tend chickens, but man is this a catch 22.

For me, I think of all animals as having a purpose. With a dog, for example, their main job is companionship, also guarding against foxes and things. For an animal like a chicken, their job is to provide eggs, meat, help balance out other animals (like turning horse manure over) and enjoyment.
So when I turn a cockerel into a roast, they have done what they were bred to do, and served a purpose.
I don't enjoy it at all, but I much rather raise my own meat chickens, and give them a good life, rather then eat one from a store.
And there is satisfaction in a job well done, and I get to marvel at just how well made chickens are, if that makes any sense.

So for me, I don't think there is any guilt in the process, and I don't think one needs to feel to bad about it. Everything returns to the earth sooner or later, everything comes to an end; including you and me.
As long as they have had a good life up till then, I don't think they really care how long that life is, unlike people who plan out their whole life.

This is just my take on it, and sorry it got a bit long!

For me, I think of all animals as having a purpose. With a dog, for example, their main job is companionship, also guarding against foxes and things. For an animal like a chicken, their job is to provide eggs, meat, help balance out other animals (like turning horse manure over) and enjoyment.
So when I turn a cockerel into a roast, they have done what they were bred to do, and served a purpose.
I don't enjoy it at all, but I much rather raise my own meat chickens, and give them a good life, rather then eat one from a store.
And there is satisfaction in a job well done, and I get to marvel at just how well made chickens are, if that makes any sense.

So for me, I don't think there is any guilt in the process, and I don't think one needs to feel to bad about it. Everything returns to the earth sooner or later, everything comes to an end; including you and me.
As long as they have had a good life up till then, I don't think they really care how long that life is, unlike people who plan out their whole life.

This is just my take on it, and sorry it got a bit long!
Don’t be sorry I truly appreciate you taking the time to explain your thought process! Your outlook is one I need to adapt. Thank you for sharing.

...but I much rather raise my own meat chickens, and give them a good life, rather then eat one from a store....
As long as they have had a good life up till then
Those would be some big take away points for me ... You gave that bird a way better life than any chicken had that you could purchase at a grocery store.

You gave that bird a way better life than any chicken had that you could purchase at a grocery store.
Very true. A nice life with one bad moment. Your husband probably knows how to do the dead as quickly and humanely as possible.

The fact that you have these feelings means you have a kind and caring heart. :hugs

@ForFlocksSake, You can come here on BYC and talk about these kinds of feelings any time. It's not easy to end an animal's life. Or it shouldn't be, anyway.

I hate raccoons and groundhogs because of the destruction they have caused. If they would just leave my garden, etc. alone! But when I've caught one in a trap, it's still not easy to shoot it.

I feel your pain. I am in the same boat, when I decided to get chickens I had no plan to keep a rooster, the plan was egg production (i can have a rooster here). From day 1 I thought this white chick was going to be a cockerel/ rooster and I was right. He was the one who needed pasty butt attention more then a couple times when a week or 2 old, always acted like the controller of the flock of 8 from a week old. Now there 15 to 16 week old and he is pretty frisky in the mornings, the pullets are trying hard to stay away from him sometimes not even coming out of the coop. I have seen him mount at least 1 pullet every day this week. His life is now in his hands so to speak, so far he is fine with me , pullets are fine with him after the morning chase is over. It comes down to if he does not tear the hens up he will most likely stay, even though he eats 2 times as much as the others. I have been a hunter / trapper for years and have butchered many chickens in the past, this one will be a tough one for me to put in the stew pot if needed.

Back
Top Bottom