Feeling like a total idiot

Tell me please, literally, what is the harm of my act?

It's a matter of property rights and respect for others.

A raccoon that causes problems for a person to the point that the person feels compelled to trap it and remove it from his own property should not be disposed of on someone else's property.

As I said, it's no different than dumping garbage on another person's property.

I do not see that it matters if you know or don't know who owns the land or if the land is public or private. I believe that you have the right to do what you please with your own land (we told our real estate agent absolutely no covenants, restrictions, or homeowners associations), but that you also have the duty and obligation to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to anyone else's land -- public or private -- without specific permission.

Maybe I'm unusual in seeing a person's land property as no different than his car or his house in this. But my principles are consistent in this matter.

When I built my coops, the Guinea coop is 6 ft by 8 ft for sleeping. The chicken coop is 12 X 12 with a 3 ft by 5 ft Brooder room. I put Galvanized Steel Stucco Netting on the outside of stud framing. This included under the coop floor joists, The walls,(outside) Including over the window openings, The roofing rafters. Then I put the outside roofing and siding on. The floor also has foam insulation, then the Galvanized Steel Stucco Netting on the top of the floor joists, Then Trex decking (Leftover from the new deck). On the inside, I had PVC Tile leftover from Bathroom remodels (easier to clean also). Coops are all wired for Electricity. The next step is to plum for water.

I try to keep my birds as safe as possible. The (12) Guineas have a 400 Sq. foot fully wire enclosed kennel. The 37 chickens have 1200 sq foot fully wire enclosed kennel

Hmmmm... Do you have another place to put the keets?
When I built my coops, the Guinea coop is 6 ft by 8 ft for sleeping. The chicken coop is 12 X 12 with a 3 ft by 5 ft Brooder room. I put Galvanized Steel Stucco Netting on the outside of stud framing. This included under the coop floor joists, The walls,(outside) Including over the window openings, The roofing rafters. Then I put the outside roofing and siding on. The floor also has foam insulation, then the Galvanized Steel Stucco Netting on the top of the floor joists, Then Trex decking (Leftover from the new deck). On the inside, I had PVC Tile leftover from Bathroom remodels (easier to clean also). Coops are all wired for Electricity. The next step is to plum for water.

I try to keep my birds as safe as possible. The (12) Guineas have a 400 Sq. foot fully wire enclosed kennel. The 37 chickens have 1200 sq foot fully wire enclosed kennel

[/QUOTE]
It's a matter of property rights and respect for others.

A raccoon that causes problems for a person to the point that the person feels compelled to trap it and remove it from his own property should not be disposed of on someone else's property.

As I said, it's no different than dumping garbage on another person's property.

I do not see that it matters if you know or don't know who owns the land or if the land is public or private. I believe that you have the right to do what you please with your own land (we told our real estate agent absolutely no covenants, restrictions, or homeowners associations), but that you also have the duty and obligation to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to anyone else's land -- public or private -- without specific permission.

Maybe I'm unusual in seeing a person's land property as no different than his car or his house in this. But my principles are consistent in this matter.
Thanks for elaborating
Raccoon is not garbage,discarded and created by.human. They were there before you or me. You say you are obligated to not mess up others property very adamantly. What about the raccoon? What about respecting the ecosystem and that they were there.first? You have a house in the middle of raccoon living room. But consider.them as garbage or pest. I guess we just think about it differently and that is ok. I have equal respect for raccoon and random person. Slightly more for my neighbors and acquaintances. And the MOST for nature as a whole. I feel confident enough in my deductions I don't feel the need to ask permission or follow a rule about moving an animal within its own forest I INVADED. Some might say, being a PROTECTED FOREST, it is literally the raccoons land. 13000 acres dedicated to protecting wildlife. Can't really see how that is like me tossing a bag of trash on your lawn. AT ALL. But I don't need to. I have explained myself as much as I care to on this. Hopefully you realize that I am not some moralless serial raccoon and garbage tosser, even tho we don't agree.

You have a house in the middle of raccoon living room. But consider.them as garbage or pest.

Actually, we're talking about YOUR house and YOUR decision to not tolerate the raccoon and it's predatory habits on YOUR land. :)

Consistent application of your principle of respecting the raccoon would mean hardening your chicken facilities against raccoons then letting the raccoons stay on your land rather than removing them.

Raccoons do not carry rabies. A raccoon can be a carrier but don’t miss lead anyone saying all raccoons carry rabies. And aside from that many animals can be a carrier
My mistake, they “can” carry rabies (they are rabies vectors) and that is the reason you can not relocate in Vermont. I had no intention of misleading anyone. Saying as you stated “Raccoons do not carry rabies” can also be misleading and untrue. And yes, other animals can carry rabies, so it’s a good idea to check with your local game warden before relocating an animal.

By saying something like this is 100% anything, immediately lessens your claim. This is a subjective, case by case matter. Law does not equal ethics, and blanket statements are ALMOST never true. I can see both sides of the argument and not saying that it is totally ok to relocate raccoons, but it is also not 100% unethical. That is an opinion, not a fact sir.
It may not be subjective depending on what the law is in each state.

so in the midst of the great raccoon debate, unless I missed it, you've had no further attacks. Did you do anything diff to shore up security?
Maybe close up a section of brooder so you can lock them in at night as we do with coops? Himself argued that ours is build on sleigh runs that would require 10" of digging to get under, but I still ended up putting a board down for my own peace of mind. It makes it easier for me to walk on and do deep litter method. - Now that I'm cleaning it out, I probably should have put tile or something over the board,:sick but it's still sturdy.
The run sides are open w/hwc, but he put salvaged steel pole barn siding on the sides of coop and roof so they're locked down at night.
That 2 wk period I mentioned when we had a run on raccoons, they were able to climb up hwc and walk on roof, but none found a way in.🤞
Re the one he drove 20 mi away, no, I don't think she made her way back. For one, there's a lot of highway between here and there, and two, after staring at that many of them in a trap or tree right outside your window, you realize they don't all look alike. She had a sweet face and didn't get pissy until he picked up the trap. Some of them sounded ready to rip our faces off before we even went outside, and one was trying so hard we wld have put money on him tearing the trap apart to get out. Hopefully this will be the last of your attacks.

Back
Top Bottom