Feeling like a total idiot

Just got a raccoon in the havahart trap. That is the first animal I have ever trapped! Don't know if he is the original culprit or not but, one less predator in my woods. I don't have the firepower to responsibly dispatch it so relocation it is. There is a state park nearby should be perfect. My dog(husky/sheperd) alerted me chuffing at the window as soon as it was caught. She is a lazy house dog but she knows whats up. This is crazy I'm wide awake!

Just got a raccoon in the havahart trap. That is the first animal I have ever trapped! Don't know if he is the original culprit or not but, one less predator in my woods. I don't have the firepower to responsibly dispatch it so relocation it is. There is a state park nearby should be perfect. My dog(husky/sheperd) alerted me chuffing at the window as soon as it was caught. She is a lazy house dog but she knows whats up. This is crazy I'm wide awake!
In Vermont it’s illegal to relocate raccoons because they carry rabies. My state game warden told me to shoot it.

I don't have the firepower to responsibly dispatch it so relocation it is. There is a state park nearby should be perfect.

I'm sorry, but that is SERIOUSLY unethical and may additionally be illegal. Giving your predator problem to someone else is simply NOT RIGHT.

If you can't dispatch it, don't use live traps. Period.

I'm sorry if that comes off offensive, but as a person who lives out in the country where people could be tempted to drop off animals "in the woods" I don't need other people's predators eating my chickens. :)

That’s a good tip. We have set numerous traps and never caught anything.
Animals are smart. And most small predators are still prey to something else. If you just set a trap out in the open they will avoid it. Hide one in some brush, against a fence with a pallet leaning against, in a turned over garbage can with the lid cocked and it will increase your chances. Remember too that their sense of smell is far far greater then ours, so try your best to disguise scents or at least making them to tempting to ignore.

I'm sorry, but that is SERIOUSLY unethical and may additionally be illegal. Giving your predator problem to someone else is simply NOT RIGHT.

If you can't dispatch it, don't use live traps. Period.

I'm sorry if that comes off offensive, but as a person who lives out in the country where people could be tempted to drop off animals "in the woods" I don't need other people's predators eating my chickens. :)
I am not offended and appreciate your input. I agree this wasn't ideal but I had to do something last night to protect my birds. Period. I got off work at 6 pm and borrowed the only trap I could get my hands on...it worked.

I too live in deep woods, nestled in 13000 acres of protected forest land that has a state park in it. There are only four residents in a five mile radius of me. I brought this raccoon deeper into the woods, farther away from people. My birds are safer, no animals lost there life, and it is farther from humans than it was before. I fail to see how this was "seriously unethical"...as far as the law...:idunno

If I lived in the burbs and dropped it off at a playground I would fully concur with your conclusion, but in this instance I believe I did what was best first for my animals. I will most likely continue to set the trap for a few nights in case it comes back.

That being said...I NEED A .22 BAD.

Back
Top Bottom