Feeling like a total idiot

Ca
Just got a raccoon in the havahart trap. That is the first animal I have ever trapped! Don't know if he is the original culprit or not but, one less predator in my woods. I don't have the firepower to responsibly dispatch it so relocation it is. There is a state park nearby should be perfect. My dog(husky/sheperd) alerted me chuffing at the window as soon as it was caught. She is a lazy house dog but she knows whats up. This is crazy I'm wide awake!
Call your local fish and game or the equivalent for your state. They will let you know what to do with the critter and may dispose of it for you if necessary. Having trapped it once it makes it far less likely it can be trapped again and with a taste of your chicks it may just become some one elses difficult problem.

Animals are smart. And most small predators are still prey to something else. If you just set a trap out in the open they will avoid it. Hide one in some brush, against a fence with a pallet leaning against, in a turned over garbage can with the lid cocked and it will increase your chances. Remember to that their sense of smell is far far greater then ours, so try your best to disguise scents or at least making them to tempting to ignore.
Your advice seemed to work. I got a raccoon, first time ever setting a trap. I made it into a dark tunnel.

Any of you "neighbors" freindly enough to have an old .22 they'd sell or trade you for?
You are a mind reader! My closest neighbor(about a mile away, and the only other soul on my road) just might have something. I was just telling my wife I was going to give him a call today and ask him. I was also just researching .22s online. There are certainly some in my price range. I have been needing a homestead rifle anyway. This situation will most likely facilitate that.

Animals are smart. And most small predators are still prey to something else. If you just set a trap out in the open they will avoid it. Hide one in some brush, against a fence with a pallet leaning against, in a turned over garbage can with the lid cocked and it will increase your chances. Remember too that their sense of smell is far far greater then ours, so try your best to disguise scents or at least making them to tempting to ignore.
You are a mind reader! My closest neighbor(about a mile away, and the only other soul on my road) just might have something. I was just telling my wife I was going to give him a call today and ask him. I was also just researching .22s online. There are certainly some in my price range. I have been needing a homestead rifle anyway. This situation will most likely facilitate that.
[/QUOTE

You might not even need a gun, just a nearby hunter who doesn’t mind killing it for you. That’s what I do, call my neighbor or my sons who are hunters.

Just got a raccoon in the havahart trap. That is the first animal I have ever trapped! Don't know if he is the original culprit or not but, one less predator in my woods. I don't have the firepower to responsibly dispatch it so relocation it is. There is a state park nearby should be perfect. My dog(husky/sheperd) alerted me chuffing at the window as soon as it was caught. She is a lazy house dog but she knows whats up. This is crazy I'm wide awake!
Racoons rember chicken coops for life.

Racoons rember chicken coops for life.
Well, this brooder will only be in use for another month. By then my new Fort Clux coop will be done with built in brooder, electric fence, and automatic doors!! Hopefully the 10 mile trip was enough to deter this one. If not I am currently .22 rifle shopping. Think I got it narrowed down to 3, and almost have the wife convinced!

Well, this brooder will only be in use for another month. By then my new Fort Clux coop will be done with built in brooder, electric fence, and automatic doors!! Hopefully the 10 mile trip was enough to deter this one. If not I am currently .22 rifle shopping. Think I got it narrowed down to 3, and almost have the wife convinced!
Ok then. Just watch out.

Back
Top Bottom