Feeling Roo-ish????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    OK. So I'm still not clear - is behavior at 3 weeks indicative of sex???? One of my English Orpingtons has recently started funny posturing. Gets low down, next stretched in front and snakes around. "She" tends to zoom around the brooder when she does it and it looks aggressive to the other chicks but they really just ignore her or get up tall and flap at her. Rooster?????? Feather sexed at three days to be a pullet but you know how that goes! LOL

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    It ccould be - but I had a BO who was (and still is) convinced she was a ninja - doing what you described and looking like a knight on horseback charging with a lance - or something to that effect. She is a girl. (Obviously.) I guess you could have a rooster like that, but I'd say if it was sexed a girl, assume it is a ninja-girl until s/he starts crowing or shows more definite male behaviorism.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've seen pullets do that move as well as cockerels.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Behavior is the same in pullets and cockerels pretty much until the boys start feeling their hormones. When they're all immature, they all jockey for position on the social ladder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by