Feeling sad. Please don't criticize me.

Cutebutsassy1

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
So I had a new broody momma who sat the whole time till one egg pipped she was pecking hard at the egg an caused it to bleed so I watched her made sure she wouldn't do it again. I later went to the bathroom she had more egg broken when I came back. Yes the visable viens were absorbed by then but she just kept picking at the egg. by later She then stopped keeping it warm an left it to the side. I had to help baby out hours later and hopes she would change an keep newly hatched babes warm but she didn't I was tired an fell asleep an came back to her an she still didn't have baby under her she kept pecking its head an belly. Finally I took babes an it was so weak I put it in the incubator for few hours and it perked up within a few days but so sleepy. I got it a few friends and tried momma again who just kept pecking the chicks so I put her back outside an chicks back in brooder I feel so sad poor babies just wanted to cuddle mommy :'( I may have not made the best choices but I tried hard for momma to like them an she wanted no part in the chicks but enjoys sitting on eggs she found in the coop (I took them away) why? Sorry for novel I just feel so bad. by the way all chicks are doing amazing :)

So I had a new broody momma who sat the whole time till one egg pipped she was pecking hard at the egg an caused it to bleed so I watched her made sure she wouldn't do it again. I later went to the bathroom she had more egg broken when I came back. Yes the visable viens were absorbed by then but she just kept picking at the egg. by later She then stopped keeping it warm an left it to the side. I had to help baby out hours later and hopes she would change an keep newly hatched babes warm but she didn't I was tired an fell asleep an came back to her an she still didn't have baby under her she kept pecking its head an belly. Finally I took babes an it was so weak I put it in the incubator for few hours and it perked up within a few days but so sleepy. I got it a few friends and tried momma again who just kept pecking the chicks so I put her back outside an chicks back in brooder I feel so sad poor babies just wanted to cuddle mommy :'( I may have not made the best choices but I tried hard for momma to like them an she wanted no part in the chicks but enjoys sitting on eggs she found in the coop (I took them away) why? Sorry for novel I just feel so bad. by the way all chicks are doing amazing :)
Some hens don’t understand what the chicks are, and see them as a threat. Is she young?

Not all hens will accept chicks, not even their own. I had one, a first time mama, under a year old, who killed her chicks after they hatched. I felt as you did, that I could have done something to save them.
But in subsequent years, she successfully hatched and raised several batches of babies! I’m not sure what made me decide to give her another chance, but I’m glad I did!

I have a wonderful hen that will sit but when the chicks hatch she will kill them. I tried with her twice and managed to get the chicks away from her in time to save them when it happened the second time. She didn't get broody this year (thank goodness for that) and I don't know if I would have let her this time. She is otherwise wonderful!! And she doesn't bother chicks that are not hers! Go figure! Some chickens are just different! ;)

I have a wonderful hen that will sit but when the chicks hatch she will kill them. I tried with her twice and managed to get the chicks away from her in time to save them when it happened the second time. She didn't get broody this year (thank goodness for that) and I don't know if I would have let her this time. She is otherwise wonderful!! And she doesn't bother chicks that are not hers! Go figure! Some chickens are just different! ;)
Awe so at least it's not just mine thank you for sharing that :( I feel so awful they just wanted to cuddle her I honestly tried. She's a silky as well so I thought she'd be ok.

Back
Top Bottom