Feeling so guilty about locking up my hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Amyh, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have four hens that normally free range all day long. I have three dogs that have a doggy door to the yard and I must be home to supervise the dogs. Although they protect our yard from predators, my beagle is a proven chicken killer when she doesn't have me around to keep her in check. I am a stay at home mom, so if I have to go out for an hour or two, I normally just lock the doggy door so the dogs stay in the house while the chickens are in the yard having fun.

However, I've been keeping the chickens locked in the coop until 4 or 5 pm the last few days and will continue until I have this baby. I'm terrified that I'll go into labor and then be chasing chickens around the yard to get them in the coop before I head to the hospital. Can you imagine me running around between contractions... [​IMG]

The darn chickens just make me feel so guilty. They pace up and down the open part of the coop just giving me that evil chicken eye. I don't even want to go out and feed and water them for fear of the chicken eyes.

When we head to the hospital, we have to leave the doggy door open for the dogs... I can't have pee and poop throughout the house when we get home with the baby. I also need to make sure that the chickens are protected at night, so they have to be in the coop when we leave.

I never thought that chickens could make a person feel so guilty!!! What a thing to be worrying over before I have a baby!!! [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I know what you mean. We have a fenced are for our small dog, Cosmo, and thank goodness the chicken's coop and run is outside the fence. Still, when I feed and water, I have to make sure the dog is in the house because I need to have the gate open, and that's a pain sometimes.

I used to allow my hens to free range all day, but they were getting way too adventurous...they were wandering too far. I saw a few in the neighbor's driveway and I was like "UH-OH" So now, I only let them out at 5pm, when I get home from work, until dusk.

Don't let those chickens make you feel guilty......it's for their own good! LOL

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I understand about your concern with your chickens and dogs. However, your health and the health of your soon to be newborn takes precedence. You gotta do what ya gotta do. I wish you the best.

4. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I am having the same problem (except no big belly [​IMG] ). We had a fox attack, and I wouldn't let my girls out for a week...then we got a new dog, who was too interested in the girls to trust. So now I only let them out a few hours a week and they hate me for it! I can just feel their anger and frustration when I try to compensate with extra treats. They just give me the "evil eye" and make me feel very guilty. I try to explain my reasons are to keep them safe, but being typical teenagers, they just don't listen!!!

Concerning the running around between contractions- this could actually help. They tell you, you should walk around as much as possible to get the baby to move down [​IMG] . Sorry, I have a bit of a strange sense of humor regarding birth since I was in labor with my little girl for 48 hours with NO dilation (and eventually had to have a c-section) [​IMG]

5. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I can understand - you are a momma all the way, and want the best for all living things.

I have to do the chicken and dog shuffle every day as well. Often, I feel guilty for leaving the chickens penned up all day. Like they might get bored.

They live in the moment, like dogs.

Good luck with the baby!!!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You poor dear! You have a very kind heart. I bet those chickens are just fine out there, until they see you. Then they put on a show to get out. You take care of yourself, do what's best for you and try not to worry about those chickens. A couple of hours late in the day is plenty of time to be out running around. They can get used to a new schedule just fine. They sure can complain when they want to though, can't they? [​IMG]

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Argghh, the chicken eyes! The chicken eyes![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by