Feeling stupid question

The only stupid question is one you dont ask!

Sorry I dont know the answer, but I would have to guess No.

I have a rooster who thinks my little girl duck is his hen. I've put him in a run so he can't get her. He got out (son left the gate open) and was after her again when I got home yesterday. Why does he want the duck when I have him with 12 chickens?

That link was interesting, because most of those weren't actually hybrids. They're the same species. Crossing a pheasant to a pheasant gets you a pheasant. Just because they're different varieties doesn't mean anything. That's like crossing a RIR to a Buff Orp. Woo hoo, you get another chicken! Same thing with the ducks. Yay, they look different, but they are the same genetically(well, base DNA). Ok, better example w/ chickens: Crossing a Serama with a Standard Cochin(serama Daddy). Woo hoo, you get a weird looking chicken, but a chicken none the less. So there is my rant and rave, and no, I do not think that a turkey X Chicken hybrid would be possible. It might, but I don't think so(I think they have diff # of chromosomes).

Quote:
You can breed two animals with a different number of chromosomes, but the offspring are usually sterile. Horses and donkeys have a different number of chromosomes and can be interbred.

I had a third generation male savannah once (cross between a serval and a domestic cat). He was sterile, as are all males up to the 4th or 5th generation...but the female crosses are fertile. Go figure! Don't know if they have differing # of chromosomes there though.

Back
Top Bottom