Feeling uneasy about my wife's coop idea

butterflygrooves

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
San Bernardino, CA
We bought 3 chicks yesterday, all hens (hopefully!). My wife left me at home with the new babies and ran to Home Depot to pick up supplies for a coop. I want to know if you think these are adequate supplies and an adequate plan.

Supplies:
2 - 2"x4"x8'
2 - 2"x4"x6'
1 sheet of 4'x8' plywood
1 roll of poultry netting 48"x50'

She says she is going to put the 6ft posts at the back of the coop, against an existing fence, and the 8ft posts at the front of the coop, nail/screw the plywood to the top and wrap the poultry netting around the entire thing. It will be 8'x4' once it's done. She obviously doesn't have enough supplies to make a door or anything else for that matter. She says it will look something like this... http://www.woodenart.org.uk/product_images/uploaded_images/james_chicken_coop_hen_house_and_run-house_on_left_side-2.jpg
Sorry
I can't get it to link.

She says it won't have the "house" part as shown on the left side of the example coop, it will be completely open. Won't that be more of a run and not a coop?

My concern is that it won't be sturdy, especially because we get Santa Ana winds here every so often and they are pretty strong. Also, I know the chickens will need at least one nesting box, and a roost or two.

Some info on the climate where we live: Southern California near mountains, very hot summers normally around 100-110, cold winters with frost (never snow). The coop will be in an area that always has shade/dappled sunlight. Not sure if this matters but our chicks are: one buff orpington, one rhode island red, and a jersey giant.

Last edited:
They need a coop attatched to that run. No matter the climate they WILL need shelter. They will, like you say need nesting boxes as well. I'd step up and grab a hammer my friend
smile.png

You could tie tarps up around one end (like 1/3 of the pen). I guess I'm thinking of rains and wind blowing in at a slant...just a roof overhead isn't going to cut it IMO. I like having a secure, protective section in my run. Even a format like in the link you posted, but without the front wall (open front) might work for your area. But you would need to use pretty strong wire if you're not including a secure housing area where they will be locked up at night. Good luck.

Thanks! I think I will be going to Home Depot in the morning and picking up more supplies while she is still asleep and trying to build it myself. Any suggestions for a VERY simple coop and run that I can build? I checked the coop design area out and a lot are more than I can afford/try to build myself right now. I want something that I can walk into so it has to be at least 6 feet tall.

We started out with something similar and just added plywood around one end of it. We use deep litter instead of a floor, and just added on as we FOUND supplies. It's not the prettiest thing but the girls like it
smile.png
I used an old hardside fiberglass/plastic above ground pool for most of ours. I figured it'd be better than wood since it doesn't rot. We used a lot of found materials in ours. 5 gallon buckets nailed through the bottom to the wall will work for nest boxes. Experiment with unconventional building supplies. You can even frame something out in old discarded pallets.

You can check freecycle and CL for people wanting old sheds torn down. It's hit or miss, but I see ads from time to time where people will give away all the lumber from a building they don't want to anyone who will take the time to come and tear it down. Also keep in mind that the poultry wire will keep the chooks in, but a determined predator will go right through it.

i built my coop from old insulated garage doors. i would go to a door company and ask if you could raid their dumpster. tell them what you are building and they will probly have no problem. just bolt lag the sections together and you have an instant wall. our coop is 8feet by 9 feet and cost with nest boxes @100 dollars.
big_smile.png
you won't need the nest boxes right away so you have time to find supplies craigs list is also a good place to look.

Back
Top Bottom