Feeling Very Guilty...Need Advice

Pics
I thought of more to tell you. It’s so long, I’m sorry 😂... our dog was neutered at 5mo. We have been feeding him pure-vita turkey expensive dog food because our other dog had food allergies that made him itch intensely with anything else. I think Moses had less noticeable reactions to other foods as well. He seemed to “act worse” on beef dog foods but not sure. He seemed to be more aggressive when he had access to bones. So really now all we give him is a large beef bone when he is in the crate and I don’t let him have it any other time. I use turkey hot dog pieces to give him Benadryl.
Our chickens have their own coop and run area in our backyard and he basically ignores them now! In fact, we’ve had a couple situations where they escaped and roamed our yard. I have had other situations where I was free ranging The chickens before my garden got going and had our dog door closed but hubby came home for a few days and wasn’t accustomed to keeping the dogs inside so he accidentally let them out. By the grace of God, I caught it quick enough every time! At least once, the dogs have gotten out or were already outside and didn’t even notice the chickens. Another time, they were outside and even saw the chickens and were not too interested. They followed my directions to go inside the house and did not bother them at all! Training paid off!!! Are used to wonder if we would ever get to this point. I don’t free range anymore because of the garden, and I don’t want to test my dogs anymore than necessary lol.
We also used a stake and cable with a harness in my back yard, after one of our chicken killings... They would free range and I would stay out there to make sure the chickens weren’t dumb enough to come to close to his perimeter. If he looked at the chickens or got curious, we would shake or shoot the BB gun. It was really hard at first because even when the chickens were not free range we had them in Their run and Moses was free rein, he would be so curious. We had to be ultra firm. If he even looked at the chickens - the BB gun shook and it was really hard because I spent a lot of time in the garden and didn’t feel like it was going to work because there were a lot of times that I could not discipline him but somehow we got through it and it did work. my husband started the BB gun Discipline. He was totally on board. When he could, he would sit there in the shade while I worked in my garden and when Moses thought everything was cool and he could get away with it my husband would catch him and shoot. Soon If moses even heard somebody picking up the gun he would stop what he was doing. We would have to sneak picking up the gun so that it didn’t shake so that we could really catch him. Otherwise, he just learned to avoid the BB gun by not doing anything when we were there and watching. If you want it to work you just have to keep pressing on. There’s been a lot of times of crying, a lot of anxiety, and it’s really hard to go through. But when I chose our dog I knew it was the right thing to do. I had this feeling that we were meant to choose him (that’s another short story 😆). I never want to go back down that road because it’s been a very rough time. But just like we don’t give away our children when it gets rough, we have stuck with this dog and in many ways he’s amazing. My husband couldn’t even pet him properly because he was always so hyper when somebody went to pet him. A week or two ago, he was laying on his lap letting him pet him, and I think that’s when my husband truly realized that our anxiety and suffering was not in vein. This dog would take a bullet for us. My dog trainer told me too. I think he’s actually more protective against the chickens as well. We had a raccoon come to our house about 4wks ago and that’s another short story But he acted completely professional like he’s part protector part hunting dog. He did a good job and didn’t go crazy like he normally would over small pray.
Oh and I am largely a stay at home mom and my husband is a fireman… Luckily now he has been home a bit more because sometimes he is able to respond from home on certain days. We also have Rentals and fix them. Before, I couldn’t even take him with me on a stake/cable because he was so whiny and didn’t want me focused on anything else but him and didn’t feel comfortable being other places I guess. I haven’t done any intense work like that lately, but I will be soon and I think with the Benadryl, crate, and stake/cable that we will manage so much better. Sometimes we would just keep Moses on a leash in the house and make him follow us and practice sittingand staying and being “good”... He was such a punk that if I went to the bathroom, he knew and would cause trouble in the house. Anyway, I hope this helps. It’s a long process togo through with a dog but he has made our lives richer.He has taught my husband and I more about what it means to stick it through with our dog and marriage. We haven’t always been on the same page as far as moses is concerned, that’s for sure but we are stronger and more resilient because of our struggles.
I’m so glad to hear all that!! Gives me hope for our situation.

Hi there! I have had a flock of beloved chickens for 34 years! Even before Martha Stewart! in Pasadena......California.....fairly urban. And roosters. Anway, we have had terriers. All rescue. I would show the dog the chickens on a leash. And explain confidently (confidence and stern language. Not mean, not loud. Confident. Stern. Then I would sit with the dog on the leash when the chickens wandered. Never a problem.
If dogs are new to you, get a trainer for a few sessions. Totally worth it. They know just what to do.
Great solution to separate the yard if possible.

Please don't return the dog. As much as you love your chickens, your dog will be way more loving and giving than you can imagine once this works out. Don't give up!
Thank you! Yes we are getting a trainer once he gets the all clear from the vet!

My suggestion is don't give up. I adopted a border collie it when you're at fault who was in the kennel 16+ hours a day. I was just like you at my wits end so high strong separation anxiety. It took a while but I think she just needed to let all that energy out Being a border collie she is still extremely active and playful but not a maniac like she used to be. Four years later after much training she coexists with the chickens. Walks by them like she doesn't even notice. But honestly she is the smartest most loyal and loving dog. Border Collie's are extremely smart I think she just needs some working with.
I do definitely notice she does feed off my emotions so I have learned especially when I was training to keep them low and it helped ALOT

Thanks for your reply. The dog has some separation anxiety issues so if I leave him in the house to go free range the chickens (and supervise them), he whines and is starting to become destructive. The dog pound didn’t know he had these issues. We’ve been trying to crate train him but it has been extremely slow going. I’m on Night # 6 of getting only 2 hours of sleep because of the night time whining/barking while in the crate next to me in bed (husband has been sleeping in our guest room). I don’t know what to do. I feel so bad for my chickens, this is causing me so much anxiety.
I know it's very hard, but in our opinion, you should return the dog to the pound. Some animals are just not suited to some situations and as hard as it is, you have to be honest with yourself about the responsibilities you already have and what you can handle when you are alone so much. There should be NO SHAME in returning this dog. He could be the perfect pet for someone else out there, just not a good fit for your family. Several months ago after the death of our last dog, we got a 6 month old 'mutt' puppy (fairly small). We have been able to train her and work with her. She is on a trolley outside often when our 8 hens, 2 ducks a and goose are out free ranging. The all mill around together and she has NEVER shown any aggression to any of our flock. She also sits up on the hill in back and barks loudly sometimes, and we feel she is a good 'guard mutt', lol! I think she has probably helped keep predators away. You should make a decision so you don't have this much anxiety and that ensures your little chicken pets are safe. Better to find out now than later, and possibly after a tragedy that could break your heart.

If you were enjoying your chickens before the dog, I don't think you have the right home for this dog.

It's okay, you gave it a good try. But you need a dog that can get along with small animals. And that should be item one on your criteria list, the way it would be if the small animals were your children or your existing pet dog or cat. Some dogs will learn to get along (at least, while you are watching), and some won't. There are lots of wonderful shelter dogs who need a home and would be happy to coexist peacefully with your flock. I know because I have three of them, a lab/border collie mix, a purebred Chinese crested, and a corgi/lab mix.

When you adopt, consider a home visit first, which some shelters will let you do. Or, ask one of your chickens to accompany you to the shelter for an initial meet-and-greet. A minute of interaction should tell you all you need to know about the basics of how the dog regards chickens.

Good luck!
Bravo! Totally agree!

We had a similar issue with our rescue so we took him out on leash when the chickens were free ranging and I had control of him. Teach him how to be appropriate with the chickens or if he has separation issues, give him a special treat when you are outside with your chickens. I've used a Kong with frozen chicken because it is a highly valued treat and takes awhile to get through it. Good luck.

Hello all. This is slightly embarrassing for me and a long read. We have a current flock of 11 chickens (Five 2.5-year old hens and six 12-week old chicks). I am the primary caretaker of all of them, and I am very, very attached to my chickens and they are attached to me. My husband jokes that he thinks I love the chickens more than I love him sometimes.

We’ve been debating rescuing a shelter dog for almost 5 years now and we finally adopted a 3-year old border collie/pit bull mix who comes from an abusive home. We have had him for about 5 days now. The dog pound didn’t know much about his background. He’s a surprisingly good dog despite his upbringing (friendly towards people, is semi-house trained) but as we’ve come to find out over the past few days, he has a very strong prey drive when it comes to any animal (rabbits especially). We’ve done a very controlled (fully leashed) distanced introduction with the dog/chickens and the dog has lunged and pulled to get closer.

We are keeping the chickens in their run/coop for the time being and I am feeling INCREDIBLY guilty about it. The chickens are used to free ranging during the evenings and have been vocally complaining, making crying sounds, moping around the pen/coop. I feel so horrible and have been trying to spend as much time in the pen as possible but it has been difficult with the new dog (husband works a lot and I’m the primary care taker of the dog while working from home FT). It is making me so emotional and sad and almost resentful towards the dog. Am I being crazy? Over analyzing every move the dog makes? I couldn’t live with myself if something happened to my chickens because of the dog. Just looking for some advice from others on this...:hmm
I know exactly how you feel....my husband calls me the chicken whisperer because i too love my kids!!!! I have 3 dogs all of different breeds and all of them can freely walk amongst the chickens and ducks with reservation. I have to tell you it wasnt always like this. I have a jack russell who thought he was gonna get my birds.....i spent about a week with him telling him no....everytime he went to chase after my birds i stopped him put his face in my hands and told him no in a very stern way and if i caught him making any moves towards them i got him again and kept repeating....it didnt take long. And we just took in a puppy and have done the same thing and they all run around together freely. Good luck!!!

We have an 8 month old Australian Shepard/Queensland healer. She definitely has the drive to herd the chickens and use them as a chew toy- but they have their own fenced in yard (out during the day, locked in their run/coop at night) within our yard and she just watches them through the fence. They get to “free range” in their little garden and she gets to wander the rest of the yard. We also have a walk in kennel in the backyard so when I need to clean in the coop or really have to attend to the chickens specifically without having to worry about her but she can still see me, even if she’s whining to be let out 😂 maybe that’s something you can try? But I love both the dog and the chickens and this is the way everyone can cohabitate in one yard! 😊

Back
Top Bottom