Feeling Yuckie, not sure what's wrong

jpelton

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 26, 2011
Virginia
I have 11 chickens and my 1 1/2 year old Buff Orpington is off her game.
Here is what I'm seeing
Comp - bright red
Eyes- clear
Nose/Beek- clean and clear
Vent - a little dirty with diareha but not swolen or injured
Legs - in good shape
Crop- soft - "Not eating much"
Breast muscals - good- not skinny/not fat
Skin- pink
Feathers- no mites
Energy- LOW but still up and about
Wormed her 8 months ago with Valbazine

I felt for an egg and no eggs are stuck that I can tell but she just looks like she is in some sort of pain. She is walking very slow, her tail is down and she is not very interested in food but she will pick a little at it. She is drinking water.

This is day three of her not feeling well and the only thing I can see is some (can't spell it!!!) Diareah that is brownish gold (NOT GREEN)

some of the others have the same diariah but the are not exibiting sighns of stress.

I have given them Nutra Drench in some oat meal with a small amount of Apple Cider Viniger and a clove of garlic with three drops of Oil of Oregano (my emune buster resipie) this morning and I added Wazine to their water today. I will cut out all other treats and make sure their food and water are good.

Is their anything else I can do to make her better or more comfertable?
How do I stop the Diariah? I thought the diariah was from tomatos they ate but now I'm not so sure.

What antibiotics are broad spectrum and cover intestinal issues?
Thanks For your help.
Jen

She should be immune to the cocci strain in your yard, but could she have been exposed to another strain by a new chicken, or perhaps tracked in on shoes or tires? May be just giving her some probiotics or plain yogurt with cultures would help clear up the diarrhea. Corid would be the treatment if you think it is cocci.

I have 11 chickens and my 1 1/2 year old Buff Orpington is off her game.
Here is what I'm seeing
Comp - bright red
Eyes- clear
Nose/Beek- clean and clear
Vent - a little dirty with diareha but not swolen or injured
Legs - in good shape
Crop- soft - "Not eating much"
Breast muscals - good- not skinny/not fat
Skin- pink
Feathers- no mites
Energy- LOW but still up and about
Wormed her 8 months ago with Valbazine

I felt for an egg and no eggs are stuck that I can tell but she just looks like she is in some sort of pain. She is walking very slow, her tail is down and she is not very interested in food but she will pick a little at it. She is drinking water.

This is day three of her not feeling well and the only thing I can see is some (can't spell it!!!) Diareah that is brownish gold (NOT GREEN)

some of the others have the same diariah but the are not exibiting sighns of stress.

I have given them Nutra Drench in some oat meal with a small amount of Apple Cider Viniger and a clove of garlic with three drops of Oil of Oregano (my emune buster resipie) this morning and I added Wazine to their water today. I will cut out all other treats and make sure their food and water are good.

Is their anything else I can do to make her better or more comfertable? If you haven't already, I would isolate your sick hen. She'll only get more stressed out by being with the flock; she needs to conserve her energy and focus on healing. Put her in a warm, clean place. I would continue giving Nutra Drench or some other poultry vitamin/electrolyte mixture, and would offer her favorite treats to encourage her to eat. The ACV taht you're giving is good, as is the garlic.
How do I stop the Diariah? I thought the diariah was from tomatos they ate but now I'm not so sure. Does your whole flock have diahrrea, or just her? I would recommend offering some yogurt and/or probiotics to help their digestive tract. I know that some people feed oatmeal to their birds to firm up their droppings, so maybe that would work, too.

What antibiotics are broad spectrum and cover intestinal issues? Water soluble antibiotics will all affect the intestines/other parts of the digestive tract. Common ones are Duramycin, Terramycin, and other forms of Oxytetracycline. Another stronger antibiotic, Tylan50, comes in a oral powdered form, too. The Oxytetracycline dosage varies somewhat depending on the product, but the dosage I use is 1 teaspoon per gallon of drinking water for 7-14 days. I don't know the Tylan50 powder dosage; I'm sure you can find it by searching BYC.
Thanks For your help.
Jen
I would think that Coccidiosis is a possibility. To treat, get Corid (amprol or amprolium) 9.6% liquid or 20% powder from a livestock supply store. The liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the powder dosage is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Change the water daily, and treat for 5-7 days. Don't give vitamins during treatment as they will interfere. Improvement, if there is going to be any, will be seen after 2-3 days of treatment.

Good luck with your hen!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info! I did give her 0.1ml of Tylon 50 ORAL drops in her mouth, this evening and I did put her in a nice comfy cage in a worm place.

Several of the chickens older and 5 months old have a little runny stool but I had been giving them sunflower seeds and peanuts and I still had some meat bird (high protein food) mixed in with their regular feed. So I just read that high protein can give them runny poo, so I stopped the treats and cut out the extra protein in the feed, I'm hoping this will help.

As far as other exposures..... I live on a 1/2 acre lot in a neighborhood with several homes that have chickens but none of those yards touch mine. They are a few yards a way.

So I'm going to continue with my morning Oat meal, yogert, garlic, ACV, and oil of Oregano mix and Wazine in every ones water, then in the evening I'm giving her an oral dose of Tylon 50 0.1ml for 5 days and keeping her in a cage for the next 5 days.

Hopefully I will see an improvement and if not then I will switch to the Corid.

I hope this plan works. I'll let you know.

Thanks again
fl.gif

I've gotten 2 good doses of Tylon 50 in her, she is picking at her food but she is drinking water. I noticed today that she is VERY worm when I put my hand on her belly by her legs. I checked one of the other chickens in the same place and my Orpington definitely is Hot. I'm going to De worm her with the Valbazine and get some penicillin tomorrow.

When I give her meds by mouth or force feed her (not done that yet) are their any concerns about aspirating the lungs?

I don't think Tylan is going to do anything, it's for respiratory issues. I would do an internal exam for an egg. It's hard to know why they are sick, could she have heat stress? I've had to bring a hen inside a few times so they can recover from the heat. Is she molting?

hi! i'm having the same problem with my 1.5 year old blue andalusian. she has been acting listless just moping around, not her usual self. i don't think she has diarrhea but her big floppy comb is turning dark purple almost black...not frostbite. she only picks a little and drinks a little water. i isolated her in her own cage with fresh hay and food and water yesterday. i put wazine in the water for her and all of the chickens...there are 19. today she is just sitting in the cage a little dopey but head up...eyes clear. all the other guys are acting normal. the coop got pretty dirty this summer so i'm doing a big clean out tomorrow. last week she was craning and twisting her neck and opening her mouth really wide. i heard that is a symptom of worms but she stopped doing it. we also have two goats and 4 kittens and they all mix it up.

i would like to know about some things i have read on BYC...could someone tell me how to give, in what quantity, how often and the reason for feeding the chickens: garlic, apple cider vinegar, probiotics, cayenne pepper...and are there any other magic helpful healthy things i can feed them regularly?

also, a vet told me that if i give antibiotics i can't ever eat the eggs again because there is no withdrawal time...what about that?

i'm mortified that our hen may be suffering because of something i did or did not do and i feel helpless.

thanks for any advise i can get!!!

another Jen

You can eat the eggs. Some wait a week-30 days after treatment. We usually eat the eggs a few days later but don't give them out. Is it a heavy molt?

Back
Top Bottom