Feels good to be back !

josh44

Songster
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
Hello BYC !!!
frow.gif
It's been a while & feels good to be back !!!
clap.gif

Not a new member, just an old one getting back in the game!
D.gif

Last edited:
Hello all,
I am new to this but had a question. I live in AZ and in order to keep the chickens cool in our now 112 degrees we have started using a mister system. But now I have found that the fly population has more than doubled. . ..any solution to heat, cooling and flies?

Hello all,
I am new to this but had a question. I live in AZ and in order to keep the chickens cool in our now 112 degrees we have started using a mister system. But now I have found that the fly population has more than doubled. . ..any solution to heat, cooling and flies?
images

Welcome to BYC!

Have you tried using sand in your coop and run? I use it here in New Mexico and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread! You can hose it down in the summer time and the birds will stay incredibly cool. Cool feet mean cool birds. It stays dry when wet, it is easy to clean and you won't have hordes of flies. It is soft on the foot pads and the chickens love to scratch an bathe in it. AND....being that you live in AZ, you can go out into the desert and dig it up for free. I get mine from a nearby dry wash and arroyos. You can tell it is sand when you wet it and squeeze. If it falls apart it is sand. Dirt will clump. Once you find a sand vein, remember where it is. Here is what mine looks like..

I hose or sprinkle mine down once or twice a day and the birds rarely pant, they stay so cool. That an a fan running, they don't over heat and there are no flies!!! If you keep it clean as possible, you won't have flies. Flies need wet dirt. They don't care much for sand.

Here is a nice link you can read thru for more info on sand....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Good luck and I hope you can get your fly situation taken care of!

Do you know if he still has them? As you know, I raise blacks. We rejuvenated the pene club website and are looking to connect breeders to better preserve them.

Back
Top Bottom