Feet Color - BJG vs Australorp

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Chicks are 1 week old. I'm a novice.
Purchased 2 Black Jersey Giants (straight run) and 4 Black Australorps.
Feet Color seem really similar to me. The BJG has yellow bottom feet, but seems like the BA does too. Maybe this is normal for such young chicks. Below are bottom of feet pics. These were purchased at a small hatchery and its my understanding they get have limited availbility of the BJG, and I believe get the eggs from a BJG breeder. But don't know about the BA source. What do the experts think?

If you want to see the full chick pics, I posted an update with pics here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-with-pics-week-2.1225721/#post-19650092

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.12.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.12.14 PM.png

I tjknk the heads are different. I also noticed that the BJG have more black and are darker overall.

Now you see, i have seen pics of darker chicks but then no one came back to say what the end result was.
Are the legs darker on Day old BJG and almost clean pinkish on BA?

The BA do have some dark markings up their legs, but the BJG have more dark on their legs. Here are the pics of the two breeds I purchased - you can see at Day 1 and Day 7 what their leg colors look like.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.46.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.41.43 AM.png

Last edited:
Here are pics with same background and lighting on same age chicks - Black Jersey Giant and Black Australorp. You can see that the feet color are different - the BJG have Yellow (slightly orangish) feet, while the BA have more pinkish feet. Of course, they are only 8 days old. You can also see how much larger/thicker the legs are on the BJG!

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.29.42 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom