Feist and Ratting dogs or Earth dogs ~ Info please!!!!!!

TACEYPERKINS

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Medford,Oregon
Hi- I am looking into trying to get a dog that will help me get rid of ground squirrels. I need some information though! I live in Ca and ground squirrels have been really hard to get rid of. Because of the chickens and my kids, I wanted to find a non chemical way to get rid of them. I started doing some research on the ratting dogs, purebreed terriors and feist dogs. Seems like they are wonderful at getting rats and rabbits, but would they be able to get the ground squirrels too.? Do I have to flush out the squirrel or would the dog go in and get him? What breed of dog would be best? Any information would be helpful. Thank you~ Tacey

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that the dog will leave a BIG hole digging into the tunnel.

Jack Russells are relentless. They would probably annoy them out if nothing else. My neighbor has one that will trail a tree squirrel for hours at a time. I would personally rather deal with the squirrels though.
idunno.gif

I could rent you my JRT Rosie for a while...she would get the job done in no time flat
Rosie.jpg
just tell her "Rosie kill it! kill it rosie" and she will
tongue.png
except for burglers ...then she would get her squeaky toy and Kill it in front of him
lau.gif

Last edited:
X3 for JRT!

We have had Jacks for years.. usually the problem is to keep them from hunting.

Females often seem to have a stronger prey drive than males.

But please keep in mind... the nature that will make some dogs better hunters can also be... an enormous pain in the butt.
Make sure you've met actual dogs of the breed you are thinking of, and done your research into their temperament and needs, before you get one.
Also please remember that doggy who likes to hunt is never going to understand that the world is not it's hunting ground... so you will need a fence or one day that doggy is going to run off never to be seen again.

Wishing you the best!

We raised JRTs for years, have 4 now, they are hunting machines. They catch mice, squirrels the occassional stupid cat , snakes, whatever they can. Mine work together for squirrels and have a pretty good catch rate on them.

Has anyone had any experience with rat terriers or teddy rosevelt terriers? I know they are on the uncommon side, just was wondering if anyone knew first hand.
Thank you everyone for all the information.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom