Feisty Rooster

HeatherlyHash

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2019
Hi everyone! I'm a first time chicken owner, and out of our 5 hens, one ended up being a roo. There is no issue with keeping a rooster as far as the city is concerned, and my only problem is he's becoming quite feisty.

They are all about 5 months old right now. He hasn't been too rough on the ladies , and he is definitely doing a good job of looking out for them, but he is quickly becoming aggressive towards me and my partner. I have only been pecked at a few times, but my boyfriend went to collect eggs one day (they JUST started laying) and was chased all over the yard to the point where he had to kick Jamie off of him multiple times and run in the house.

Jamie was my favorite hen, and Jamie is now my favorite roo - but I can't be going out to my coop every day scared of getting pecked. Could this just be a feisty teenager stage (he has spur buds but no spurs still thankfully) or is my roo on his way to the roasting pan?

Edit: I forgot to mention that we do plan on getting 5 or 6 more hens in the spring if that will potentially help.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went through this with our surprise, too. Beastie started doing this to my partner. We found that if he just carried a stick with him, swinging it a few times, Beastie stays away from him. It also worked for a few friends that watched them when we went on vacation. No need to actually hit him... He has only been aggressive with me a couple of times, when his hens were about to lay, I usually pick him up and carry him around for awhile so he realizes that I'm alpha. Usually works.

This is one of the more popular articles on controlling aggressive roosters:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beekisseds-rooster-speak.73664/

This is one of those hot topics where you will get a very wide range of opinions on what to do with this guy. Lots will tell you to put him in the freezer. If you have small children around, I am one of them.
Otherwise, you can try to rehabilitate him.
Good luck.

We have two 10 month old cockerels, one is dominant, and the other is slower maturing and is beginning to pick up on the feistiness.

The dominant one is alert, but still a bit of a jerk to the girls and doesn't seem to tid-bit much or anything for them. He has definitely put the other cockerel in his place in the past. However, dominant one does show aggression towards my tween child, and me. I have found that he tends to try to rush at me once I leave the enclosure and have my back to him. I turn and stare him down, make a few steps in his direction (fence between us), and he backs down...and has been better overall. Prior to that he would attack my legs from under the elevated coop. He much more often went after my tween (short person), and at one point tween smacked him hard upside the head (not quite intending to do so) with their boot and cockerel kept distance for a few days after that. But, now tween has developed better habits with that cockerel, such as not facing away from him, and knowing where he is at all times.

The less dominant one, is becoming more aggressive, which is unexpected as this breed is known to be more relaxed overall. He has been coming after me and almost acting as if he wants to block me from entering the coop. He has attacked my boots once, so far. He leaves the tween alone.

Two cockerels could be adding to the tension, although we have 500 sq ft run, an elevated coop with deck, and 12 pullets for them to share. We intend to get rid of dominant cockerel soon, so maybe the remaining cockerel will relax and settle in.

But, the ONE thing that makes them behave and run FAR AWAY from us is.... wait for it... the fishing net. They HATE the fishing net with a passion. Early on, while still constructing coop we would let them in the run, but had to catch them to put them in the interior large brooder box for the night, and a fishing net works perfect. So, if I want them nowhere near me, I just pick up the fishing net and they are at the farthest point from me within 1/10th of a second. Works like a charm!

The contractor (large and tall man) who installed electric in the coop and run likes chickens and didn't mind them, but found our dominant cockerel behaved well when he walked around with an extended tape measure while working. So, in your case, walking with something longer, and light (easy to carry) may work for you. Good Luck!

I have started to separate the boys because I ended up with 6 out of 24. I have been putting them outside during the day to give the girls a break. They had stopped laying in the nest box because the cockerels would get in there and harass them. One of my girls is limping, I checked her for bumble foot but nothing I think an overzealous boy hurt her leg and then I caught one dragging a broody by her tail, so that was the last straw. I shoveled an area for them and set up an extra large igloo dog house with straw so they have a place to get out of the elements if needed. In two days the girls are back to laying in the nest boxes and are relaxed when I go in there. I do let the boys back in for the night.

Back
Top Bottom