Fellow Canadians? Anyone else out there?

I'm in Ontario. About 2.5hrs drive north of Toronto. Starting to get cooler here.....moved my coop yesterday to start battening down the hatches for those cold winter months are coming! I only have 6 hens (3 about a year old, 2 that are about 18-20 weeks (no new eggs yet though!) and one little little pullet born early August (she also has 3 brothers, 2 of which will be finding a new home or freezer camp soon, but Alvin, the Jaunty little fellow will be staying to look after the ladies when hes old enough!)

I’m from Manitoba and new to BYC!

We have 12 chickens and 7 coturnix quail!
First year keeping chickens and quail over Winter, sure has been interesting so far :)
D05D9505-C2E6-4F1B-BC66-3DDCCEF69608.jpeg

D80D4B14-13F5-4B2C-8A9F-64B1C53EDD39.jpeg

Attachments

• A2DEEF0B-6007-44FA-86FC-7CEFEFAE5EDB.jpeg
    A2DEEF0B-6007-44FA-86FC-7CEFEFAE5EDB.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 4
I’m from Manitoba and new to BYC!

We have 12 chickens and 7 coturnix quail!
First year keeping chickens and quail over Winter, sure has been interesting so far :)View attachment 1197306

View attachment 1197305
Hi, I'm also from Manitoba and it's going to be our first winter of quail keeping. Just wondering how yours did last year? I plan on just keeping mine out in the hutch (with a separate, draft free space in the hutch) or in the barn to protect them from the wind.

I've heard they're hardy enough, but never from a first hand experience.. could you share yours?

Hi, I'm also from Manitoba and it's going to be our first winter of quail keeping. Just wondering how yours did last year? I plan on just keeping mine out in the hutch (with a separate, draft free space in the hutch) or in the barn to protect them from the wind.

I've heard they're hardy enough, but never from a first hand experience.. could you share yours?

They are by far more cold
hardy then chickens or ducks! give them lots of straw or hay in a cardboard box with a little
door ( think igloo) and they will
burrow in there and be toasty as can be!

Back
Top Bottom