Female button quail soft distended abdomen

ChickKeeper

Songster
7 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Hello, so one of my little button quail hens appears to have something wrong.

So she had a large amount of urates stuck to her cloaca this morning and again this afternoon. Her stomach is certainly distended and feels soft and extra squishy to the touch. She has always been fairly mellow but I feel she is hiding more than usual.

About a month ago some work had to be done in their room so they had temporarily been relocated to a different room for about a month then moved back about 3 weeks ago so there was some stress. She has lost a lot of her back feathers (I had attributed it to likely be from stress and was being more hands off which I am now kicking myself for not noticing the other symptons sooner). I was considering separating the pair since I figured he was to blame even if he hadn't done anything like that before. I know how much they dislike being alone so I have been giving it some time first. She is about a year and a half old. She hasn't been laying since moving back to their regular room.

Housing she is kept with a male in a 34×34 octagon pet play pen with aspen bedding, several hiding places. They get trays of soil for dust baths. They are fed game bird crumbles 24% protein and finch seen although this pen rarely touches the finch seed. They have chick grit and oyster shell always available. The water gets hen boost probiotics (although more diluted than the package directions). Treats consist of meal worms and leftover greens from my lizard so mostly dandelion greens or collared greens. House temperature is usually high 70s-low 80s.

Attaching a picture of her bottom (not clogged with urates in the image, but a little runny poop.)

There is an avian vet in town, when I called there were no appointments today, but can do emergency if needed (when I called they recommended observation for now).

Open to suggestions of anything to try.

Attachments

• 20210510_163512.jpg
    20210510_163512.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 94
I have cleaned the vent a few times now. Last time had her soak her belly in warm water for a few minutes.

The only poop I have seen is either the white chalky urates or the runny almost yellow brown that was present in the picture (picture was before cleaning her up).

She was eating a little (or at least pecking at the food dish) haven't seen her drink.

Food is game bird crumbles. 24% protein (do you want more specifics). Finch seed is available, but she rarely eats it. I offered some cooked egg, she hadn't decided to try it yet. Oyster shell (very small) is always available as is grit.
Not offered at the moment, but offered frequently throughout her life: fresh greens (dandelion greens, collared greens most frequent), fruit (watermelon, grapes, blueberries), meal worms.

I haven't seen this in my buttons before?...idk, other than the loss of feathers is due to 'over breeding'. It might possibly could be depluming mites? If so, Ivermectin will take care of the mites.
Another condition associated with what I see in the pic, could be Ascites or 'waterbelly'....which is seen more in chickens (broilers/meat birds) rather than gamebirds (quail).
The swollen area around the vent and the presence of yellow protein clots, caused by increased vascular hydraulic pressure, leads me to think that this is the issue. Idk?

A vet visit would be best if you can find a vet to look at her.

I haven't seen this in my buttons before?...idk, other than the loss of feathers is due to 'over breeding'. It might possibly could be depluming mites? If so, Ivermectin will take care of the mites.
Another condition associated with what I see in the pic, could be Ascites or 'waterbelly'....which is seen more in chickens (broilers/meat birds) rather than gamebirds (quail).
The swollen area around the vent and the presence of yellow protein clots, caused by increased vascular hydraulic pressure, leads me to think that this is the issue. Idk?

A vet visit would be best if you can find a vet to look at her.
Thank you, it does sound like that is possible.
I am planning on getting her to the vet today even if it has to be an emergency visit (no appointments were available yesterday and they suggested observation and calling today...).

No signs of mites. Overbreeding is the likely reason for the feather loss, they have been together since they were old enough to be separated out and he has been good until now.

Hello, so one of my little button quail hens appears to have something wrong.

So she had a large amount of urates stuck to her cloaca this morning and again this afternoon. Her stomach is certainly distended and feels soft and extra squishy to the touch. She has always been fairly mellow but I feel she is hiding more than usual.

About a month ago some work had to be done in their room so they had temporarily been relocated to a different room for about a month then moved back about 3 weeks ago so there was some stress. She has lost a lot of her back feathers (I had attributed it to likely be from stress and was being more hands off which I am now kicking myself for not noticing the other symptons sooner). I was considering separating the pair since I figured he was to blame even if he hadn't done anything like that before. I know how much they dislike being alone so I have been giving it some time first. She is about a year and a half old. She hasn't been laying since moving back to their regular room.

Housing she is kept with a male in a 34×34 octagon pet play pen with aspen bedding, several hiding places. They get trays of soil for dust baths. They are fed game bird crumbles 24% protein and finch seen although this pen rarely touches the finch seed. They have chick grit and oyster shell always available. The water gets hen boost probiotics (although more diluted than the package directions). Treats consist of meal worms and leftover greens from my lizard so mostly dandelion greens or collared greens. House temperature is usually high 70s-low 80s.

Attaching a picture of her bottom (not clogged with urates in the image, but a little runny poop.)

There is an avian vet in town, when I called there were no appointments today, but can do emergency if needed (when I called they recommended observation for now).

Open to suggestions of anything to try.
Whens the last time she laid?, and i gotta say a vet sounds helpful right now, good luck

Back
Top Bottom