Female duck aggressor

Haylo12

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
I have a few ducks and they’ve reached maturity now as I saw one drake trying to mount a female in the pool. But during this action, I also saw another female holding on to the female being mated. She then afterwards kept biting her and going after her. Is this normal female duck behavior if there’s a male around? I knew males would gang up on females and could drown them but didn’t expect another female do it too.. I have 2 males and 2 females that I know of but have 2 younger (most likely) females too. One drake is a little younger so I haven’t seen him try to mate the girls or act aggressively with the other male.

I posted a picture of the aggressor female duck.

Thanks 314074F1-27F9-444C-97A9-A928982B9A79.jpeg

Our girls will do this sometimes, although I cannot remember when it started. It has never gotten out of hand. With two girls broody right now, we do have more "aggression" between females than usual, but again, it's pretty tame. We currently have five hens with one drake, and we do need to manage them from April until August (separating them into various groups). There is very little aggression amongst the hens when the drake is not around (except when they are broody).

I personally just went through a similar situation, couldn't find any advise online. So what I did worked! I took the aggressive female out of the main containment and put her in a tall dog run type pen and put her right by the main coop. I did this for a week then put her back in the main pen, she was back to her sweet self that moment! I hope this information helps you or any others in the same situation. 😊

Jill

I have 5 females and 2 males they are separated. 2 of my females are ducklings and 1 of my older females is a muscovy. My muscovy is very sweet usually. She is different when the boys are allowed within her.. she is different towards the other girls and sometimes will nip at one bc she feels threatened i think. When i got her to try and even my ratio i didn't know there was a language barrier so shr is the odd ball with no one that speaks her language and the boys aren't very kind to her. She's very cool though, very sweet bird, She is the only one that doesn't mind being pet. However, there's times when she is aggressive. When i bring in other animals. ( the ducklings) she bit them to show dominance and a territorial thing. Also when she is done laying her clutch she seems to get real bitchy excuse my term. It could be an alpha thing. Also when I go worm hunting with the girls my muscovy will nip the other ducks like she owns under every surface I turn over :confused: hahaha. I adore her. :DI also noticed my oldest pekin get nippy with the ducklings she dont mind sharing her bath w her sister but a duckling omg! :eek:Sometimes if they aren't causing very bad harm they tend to work it out themselves. I did get upset when my muscovy would grab a ducklings wing and hang on i intervened. Beautiful duck she is gorgeous!:love

Last edited:
I had no idea ducks could be so ornery.
I've had ducks before and never had a problem.
I am trying to come up with a way to separate them from my chickens as they are always doing "something" that is not nice, like ganging up on my 13 yr old chicken.
I love them, I hope they are just in hormonal season and it won't last.

Back
Top Bottom