Female duck "mating" another female??????

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
Do I have a case of gender identity crisis?????
Yesterday I saw my female white layer duck mating my female indian runner in the pond. She almost drowned that poor thing!!!!
Both are definitely female, no doubts about that. I have two drakes and my white layer is definitely not one, she is the loudest quaker and has no drake feather. What's going on?????????

I had the same reaction when my two mallards started "mating." XD It seems to have stopped now, either because they're much older or they realized how weird it is, but the only problem with this situation was that my ducks would mess up each other's feathers. :(

Mine two girls do this too!! And they do "it" when I come home. Pippy will bob her head and then Bonnie will climb atop and nearly drown Pippy. It's bizarre!!

Female ducks will look like they are 'mating' but it might be a display for dominant.. Generally the weaker of the 2 will be on the bottom and the stronger on the top.

My four month old Anconas seem to be all girls because of their voices. They all have very strong female quacks. I was sure about them being females, even though they would sort of climb on each other when one of them would get down low and seductive-like.
wink.png

But today, not only did Jerry climb up on Pippin in the pool, but Jerry's tail came down and Pippin's came up and it really seemed like they were mating.

When females pretend mate does it really go this far?

Back
Top Bottom