Female duck

Joel Brasier

Chirping
Jul 31, 2017
Today I noticed some of my females wouldn’t go out of the coop. I got two out and some of the boys tried to have relations with her. She came back to the coop and her body was lower to the ground and she was using her wings to help her walk. She has been in the coop for a couple of hours now. I noticed her poop diarrhea hand it was kind of a minty green color. I read that this could be from starvation. She is laying down wagging her tail and moving her wings a little bit. I don’t know if I need to give her medication, what medication do I give her or where to get the medication at.

anyone know what’s going on and what and where to get her medication?

Could you isolate her from the males? Preferably into a warm/quiet place with food and water, you don't want those males attacking her given her state. Just a few questions, What are you feeding her? How old? Anything she may have eaten? rotten carcass, moldy feed or stagnant water? Is she eating/drinking? Could you post a picture of her and her poop?

I isolated her from most of the males. The two that are in there grew up with her. I am feeding her egg layer pellets, 3-years-old. I found a dead frog next to the pond but she was in the coop and run today except for the 5 minutes she was out. I saw her eating this evening but she is always laying down. When she gets up, she has to use her wings to help her. We had a lot of rain earlier in the week so in my tree line there is a lot of standing water that every duck/goose goes back into. I can not get a picture of the poop and it is dark now so I can’t get a picture of her.

It really sounds as if you need to separate your duck hens from the drakes. How many drakes do you have. Through excessive gang breeding they can injure the hens even drown or kill them. It sounds as if she may have been starving herself in order to keep away from the drakes. There is also the possibility that their breeding has resulted in pelvic injuries.

I have a total of 40 ducks and 19 drakes. I recently rescued 3 pekins that ended up being drakes. I think 2 of them might be the cause as they see other drakes having relations and join in. These three pekins are pretty big boys. Bigger than the other pekin I have.

I have a total of 40 ducks and 19 drakes. I recently rescued 3 pekins that ended up being drakes. I think 2 of them might be the cause as they see other drakes having relations and join in. These three pekins are pretty big boys. Bigger than the other pekin I have.
can you bring her inside the house? completely isolated from all the other ducks and watch over her

I have her in a good sized dog kennel now and will check on her through the night. Tomorrow I will put her in the coop and run and let her get some fresh air, relax and heal.

Way too many drakes, for 40 ducks you should only have around, at the most, 10 males. You need to get rid of some drakes before more damage is inflicted.

Back
Top Bottom