female feather pulling/mating behavior/Penny

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I don't know if anyone reading this remembers my Pekin, Penny, and all the skin issues she's had and the big mystery we tried to figure out as to what was causing it. After a bunch of trips to the vet and trying antibiotics galore, switching up everything envrionmental, I've given up. She's still about the same, with good and bad days, but eats, lays and does everything totally normal.

I have three pekins, all female. My ducks have such a biological urge to mate, whenever they are out by fresh water in my yard they are trying to figure that out. Interestingly, Penny and my other pekin Tuppins, always hang together by the bucket of fresh water. Penny will get real low and display willingness to mate, then Tuppins will start pulling tiny feathers and down out of Penny's side. I've actually seen her eat them. I watch them pretty close outside due to predators, so I usually divert them before it happens, or catch them as soon as it starts happening since Penny's sides are beat up by her skin affliction. I wouldn't think that this tiny little feather pull would cause the extensive damage Penny has on both her sides, however, to be sure, I've recently separated their night time sleeping quarters to make sure Tuppins isn't doing that at night.

Today I was just working outside by their coop and I saw the same behavior with Penny laying down low by the edge of the pond and Tuppins standing there. When I went in there were a bunch of little feathers on the ground where Penny had been. Also, I watched Tuppins walk by Puddles, who was just resting, and dig her beak into Puddles back between her shoulder. Puddles has a tiny bit of skin issue like Penny - mostly in the spot between her shoulders where Tuppins put her beak in, but also a little on the sides that comes and goes. After that Penny ran over and attacked one of my welsh harlequins, who was sleeping. So weird!

Now I am feeling really worried that maybe Tuppins is causing the damage to Penny and Puddles. I just don't get it. They've always gotten along great and are well. She's the sweetest and friendliest of my ducks, towards humans. She's always just seemed really happy-go-lucky. Never picked on my little welshies, like Penny does, just kind of does her own thing. Is it possible that a little feather pull here or there could cause a lot of damage? I can't be out there babysitting them all day! Hoping to see whether there is any difference after a few weeks of separating their sleeping quarters.

Sorry to be long winded - just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I'm uploading photos of Penny from just now. This is actually looking really good for her. Sometimes large sections of her side have been raw looking and she's had bleeding. Even just a few days ago it looked much worse, and it's always been up and down

IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG

Today I was cleaning the run and looked over to the yard where the ducks were and Penny was just sitting there while Tuppins went to town pulling out the feathers on her side! I ran down to them and she appeared to be eating a mouthful, plus there were about a dozen little one inch long feathers on the ground. I don't know why Penny allows this! Tuppins isn't a mean duck in any way, so I don't understand this behavior! Is there any solution other than getting rid of Tuppins? I'll keep them separated at night, but I can't do it during the day, and I can't watch them all the time. I'm so bummed about this because she's such a sweetheart, but also sad that Penny has been through all that medical care, and maybe it was feather pulling all along?!

I'm feeding them Purina duck food right now. But when Penny's skin issue started I was feeding scratch and peck organic whole grains and fermenting them. I switched to pellets maybe around November because I was trying to see if a different diet would help, and they weren't eating the fines. I've also bought other pellets. I honestly don't think it's diet related because they've had so many different types with no skin changes. They also get kale, peas, mealworms, and other veggies everyday.

Back
Top Bottom