Female gosling attacks male gosling

kazula5

Chirping
8 Years
May 22, 2013
We have 2 American Buff geese and 4 ducks all hatched on May 1 and being raised together. About a week ago the female gosling started biting the male gosling and pulling feathers. He doesn't fight back. When the ducks have bit at him he doesn't stand for it and bites back. The female's attacks got so bad that 3 days ago we put her in a dog cage to keep her apart as she was going after the ducks too. The male sits by the side of the cage for most of the time. Today she was let out and within 5 minutes the attacks resumed. Can she be broken of this habit?

I have had geese before but they picked on the ducks, not each other
One was a white Chinese and the other a Toulouse
Whenever they picked on the ducks we would push them away roughly
They were only a few weeks old
How old are yours?

I was thinking it might be a pecking order kinda thing, but admittedly I have my first flock now so don't have experience.

Can you get them outside at all depending on temps. set them up in a safe place where they can get out of the sun if they want but where they can peck at the ground to relieve boredom. Gosling especially seem to be prone to this and need stimulation. Geese are foragers so being outside having some fresh air and room to forage may help.

Back
Top Bottom