Female mallard suddenly very irritable

saschoey

Chirping
Feb 9, 2020
Hi everyone, I have a year old female mallard who I raised from an egg and she is very much imprinted in myself and my family. We got her another female runner duck of similar age to be her friend in our backyard.

Recently our mallard has started acting very irritable and making a loud, hoarse constant quack chatter - sort of like you hear wild from wild mallards if they are being chased by kids etc or fighting. She only makes this noise if me or my family or dogs go outside, and fluffs up her feathers. She stops as soon as we go back inside!

We thought maybe this is a behavioural thing because she is a full adult now and it is currently breeding season in Australia. Does anyone know if she will stop making this noise as we are worried about the neighbours. I also just wanted to make sure it isn’t some sort of illness though because I worry about her a lot! Thanks 🙏🏻

Hello, Maybe this link below will help you. :) We have two small Mallard hens who are sisters and basically rule the flock of ten Pekin/Rouens mix and four Isa Brown hens. Even though they are the two smallest of the Flock their size doesn't stop them from getting after the others.

I have see those two hog the pool and not let the others jump in until their done. Another time I was watching Miss Piggy eating out of the food dish and one of the Chickens walked up to the food dish and pecked at Miss Piggy to move. Wrong thing to do, Miss Piggy jumped up and literally grabbed the chickens neck with her bill and hung on. I have seen the chickens from time to time will peck at the other bigger ducks to get them to move. Miss Piggy held her ground. LOL

Those two little girls when they are unhappy will get very chatty with their head bobbing twisting motion, very comical at times.

https://thecapecoop.com/understanding-backyard-duck-behavior/

My duck Thimbleberry gets really irritated with my other particular duck (who is lower on the pecking order) when Thimbleberry is thinking about making eggs. She starts doing that sideways head bob, pecking at her, and making disgruntled duck noises when the other duck comes near. About that time Thimble will be making a lot of nests, talking about eggs, and she gets more protective of her food.

Edit: Thimbleberry's behavior does get better!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom