Female Muscovy duck with eye issue

slashroot

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2019
Arendal, Norway
This spring I bought 3 Muscovy ducks, two females and one male. Since the start I noticed that something was a bit different with the right eye of the white female.

During the summer months it didn't seem that bothered with the eye but now that the weather is around -3C to +9C here in Norway, it seems way worse.

She's still eating and drinking normally.

Born blind or some kind of eye infection? I kind of think shes blind on that eye with an infection at the same time.

More recordings of them:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5hvAGjnnXr/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3OwGoOozUR/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3CgKypjaKY/

:welcome Can you go to TSC and buy Terramycin eye ointment. If an infection this should clear it up. Can they dunk their heads and clean their eyes and nares all the time? You can also put 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water it can help with irritation. I’d do both and be sure to do the Terramycin when you put them up at evening. If a vet is an option def go that way.

:welcome Can you go to TSC and buy Terramycin eye ointment. If an infection this should clear it up. Can they dunk their heads and clean their eyes and nares all the time? You can also put 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water it can help with irritation. I’d do both and be sure to do the Terramycin when you put them up at evening. If a vet is an option def go that way.

Weekly they get to walk freely around in the garden and always take hour long "baths" in my 21000 gallon koi fish pond. They have their own small pond inside of the fenced area, when the water is covered by ice I give them a bucket with fresh water on a daily basis.

I would think that is sufficient for them to stay fairly clean, even though they are good at mudding themselves up!

Terramycin is a good tip, painfully enough you need prescription from a doctor to be able to buy it here in Norway. Quite strict on pharmaceuticals over here.

Would you reckon that the duck is blind or hard to tell?

Thanks for your feedback :)

Can you order on line I buy from Amazon. Her eye looks cloudy what I can see of it but pick her up you can wrap her in a large towel then try use her reflex’s when you act like your going to poke her in the eye of course you aren’t or put something yummy on the side of her face and see if you get a response.

Was that sneeze at the end from her? If so, I would lean toward a respiratory infection. Respiratory issues can cause pressure in the eyes that causes swelling and discharge. Also, as water fowl ducks need to have water deep enough for them to submerge their heads to clean out their nose, mouth, and sinuses. Without this they can get sick rather fast. Today I had to bring one of my ducks i to the house to give him time to himself in the bathtub because he was getting eye discarge from being the last to get water access for a few days in a row. By the time ge got to the water the other ducks had already mucked it up. Also, even though it seems counter intuitive ducks neef water to bathe in to keep warm in winter. A clean duck is a warm duck.

Was that sneeze at the end from her? If so, I would lean toward a respiratory infection. Respiratory issues can cause pressure in the eyes that causes swelling and discharge. Also, as water fowl ducks need to have water deep enough for them to submerge their heads to clean out their nose, mouth, and sinuses. Without this they can get sick rather fast. Today I had to bring one of my ducks i to the house to give him time to himself in the bathtub because he was getting eye discarge from being the last to get water access for a few days in a row. By the time ge got to the water the other ducks had already mucked it up. Also, even though it seems counter intuitive ducks neef water to bathe in to keep warm in winter. A clean duck is a warm duck.

That's not really a sneeze, it's her squeaking, telling me to keep distance. She makes the same sound when they are nipping on eachother. Only time they sneeze is sometimes when drinking water, getting it in their nose or something.

Did take her for a bath in the tub, and used a product for infected eyes(on humans).

Hopefully her eye will improve!

Hope so too. Try adding so ACV to their head dunking water it’s a good antibacterial agent an also a good tonic. If you can get Apple cider vinegar with mother it’s the best. 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water. Let us know how she is doing.

She surely is blind on that eye since I got her a month old or so, dunno what happened during the upbringing at the first owners place.

The good thing is that she seems much less irritated now, after treatment. Before she was constantly closing the eye, now she keeps it open most of the time and it's way less red.

Gave her a bath and another round of eye drops today, she did thank me with some turds though haha

Here's her in action:

Back
Top Bottom