Fenbendazole 25g, 10% (100mg) horse dewormer paste dosing.

Pics
Off topic question. I've been curious.

Is there a way to treat/fix a bunion on a chicken? My Malay rooster Goliath developed one after he broke his toe tussling with his son awhile back.

Here's Goliath's bunion.
20231224_091122.jpg
20231224_091202.jpg

He's got a mild case of scaly leg mites, but that's a thing I've been battling with some of my other birds as well. Tips for treating multiple birds with scaly leg mites will be appreciated, too.

Here's Goliath's bunion.
View attachment 3711296View attachment 3711298
He's got a mild case of scaly leg mites, but that's a thing I've been battling with some of my other birds as well. Tips for treating multiple birds with scaly leg mites will be appreciated, too.
Not sure what you can do for the toe. He broke it? So this may be a result of scar tissue built around the joint.
Is there sign of any scabbing or sore places on the toe? Soaking in a warm epsom salts bath may help give some relief, but this may be something he has to deal with unfortunately.

For SLM, coat the birds legs with vaseline, castor oil or Nu Stock cream at least once a week for several weeks. This will smother the mites. The scales will look rough for a good while until they slough off and heal.

You could use Ivermectin Pour On if you have it, that will also kill the mites, but the oils/ointment will also sooth the legs a little and help them heal.

Not sure what you can do for the toe. He broke it? So this may be a result of scar tissue built around the joint.
Is there sign of any scabbing or sore places on the toe? Soaking in a warm epsom salts bath may help give some relief, but this may be something he has to deal with unfortunately.

For SLM, coat the birds legs with vaseline, castor oil or Nu Stock cream at least once a week for several weeks. This will smother the mites. The scales will look rough for a good while until they slough off and heal.

You could use Ivermectin Pour On if you have it, that will also kill the mites, but the oils/ointment will also sooth the legs a little and help them heal.
Yeah, he broke it in the summer. No scabbing, but it is sore.

Only thing I've got is Petroleum Jelly, not sure I'll have enough for everyone who's got scaly leg mites.

Back
Top Bottom