Fenbendazole use on chickens

Isaiah53

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Osoyoos BC Canada
Good day fellow poultry enthusiasts.

I understand that Safe Guard can be used for chickens. I (sadly) ordered the pellets, as I was naïve. I don't have a a worming concern, but decided to do it before spring comes in anycase.

My post is twofold;

1) there seems to be a lot of confusion on whether eggs must be withdrawn from the food chain. I tried calling Marsyt the manufacturer, but they're not answering. What is the consensus here to withdraw or not?

2) can eggs laid during any potential withdrawal period be used for hatching or are they considered to be discarded as well? I am trying to find a way around not wasting my hens' hard work

With many thanks for your kind assistance!

IMG_4429.JPG
I have used Fenbendazole for years and you would need to mix the 1 mil (one dropper line for 6-10 chickens including the rooster) in plain yogurt( 1/2 cup) or cottage cheese! I back off 10 days with feeding eggs to anyone that is not family! This is a type of dewormer product and is used in low dosage for chickens . The eggs will have trace amounts but if you cook them well any parasite or med would be rendered inert! I would not eat eggs for 3 days after initial treatment if you want to avoid the parasite even if inert! You will treat them with this for 3-5 days depending on number of chickens and severity of infestation. I also recommend DE flour (diatomaceous earth) which slices the vertebrae of parasite(kills them precisely). Dust the coop and the pen where they eliminate regularly which is the cause of parasites. DE can be purchased in 50 pound bags and last for 3-5 years . It is a cheaper way to go. A bottle of Safegard (fenbendazole) goes for 20 bucks and lasts a long time! Clean the coop regularly (depending on number of chickens) DE is also great for most livestock! chickens will roll and dust themselves with it to kill parasites!If you do these steps you should have happy healthy friendly chickens and eggs!

Good day fellow poultry enthusiasts.

I understand that Safe Guard can be used for chickens. I (sadly) ordered the pellets, as I was naïve. I don't have a a worming concern, but decided to do it before spring comes in anycase.

My post is twofold;

1) there seems to be a lot of confusion on whether eggs must be withdrawn from the food chain. I tried calling Marsyt the manufacturer, but they're not answering. What is the consensus here to withdraw or not?

2) can eggs laid during any potential withdrawal period be used for hatching or are they considered to be discarded as well? I am trying to find a way around not wasting my hens' hard work

With many thanks for your kind assistance!

I guess what I mean pardon me is that the bug, gnat, fly, mites, flees can and will be killed with DE flour. If you cover wet fecal matter with the DE flour it is unlikely that parasites will grow as they need moisture to populate!

Internal parasites are killed with Fenbendazole! I never said internal ones are killed with DE !

FWIW, I reached MarSyt, the manufacturer of Safe Guard pellets for multi species I was told to use 25mg of Safe Guard pellets per 1 kilo of CHICKEN Weight. Not feed weight.

Back
Top Bottom