Fence height to keep out of garden?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flockman, Jul 26, 2011.

1. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    What is the best way to keep free-ranging chickens out of the garden? We have a 4 foot fence right now. The jump up on the gait and then fly over. would electrifying stop them?

Thanks

2. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    I would clip their wing so they can't fly. You have to do just one side to keep them off balence . Then when the feathers grow back do the otherside to keep them from getting used to the one side being clipped .

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    no clue, my roos climb up my 6' fence...

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If one has a particularly flight able breed(s) then one has a choice to make. Taller fencing or clip their wing flight feathers. Some breeds can't fly worth a lick, but others leap right up to 6 ft without breaking a sweat.

5. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I just clipped the wings on my four chickens (2 RIR, 1 Delaware, 1 Gold Comet) and they couldn't get over a four foot fence afterwards (and they used to easily clear six feet). Seems to have done the trick.

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Just a tip on fencing, do not use a top rail on your fence, just use a thin tension wire. Chickens do not fly real well and do not like to fly over something if they are not sure where the top is, They like to be able to land on a top rail or board to have a look around before continuing on.

This will not stop all of the real adventurous souls, but will help in your runs etc. We have 5 foot chain link with T-Posts and our hens never fly over, the pullets will on rare occasions if they can find a launch pad but it is rare.

This was taught to me by grandpa many many years ago when it seemed everyone had chickens....[​IMG]

edit for spelling...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have four foot wire & it has kept them out.[​IMG]

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I would never have recommended clipping wings on Free-range birds. Now, they are not going to be able to escape from predators; particular night predators where they might have roosted high in trees they can't do that anymore.

You need to rethink how you are keeping them now; unless, you have them in some type of protected area; which means they aren't really Free-range.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I used 5' chicken wire and never had one fly over into the garden. Some of them could have, but they never did. Guess it wasn't worth it to them. I had no top rail, and I have never clipped wings.

10. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Some other thoughts:

Many of us like chickens in the garden. For the following reasons:

1. They eat bugs.
    2. They don't bother most of the veggies.
    3. They compost by scratching and leaving deposits of nitrogen rich fertilizer.
    4. They are also good weeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by