Fence night for coyotes???

MetalFarm

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 1, 2013
Nashville, TN
Fence is 5' tall welded wire and I have pallets running around the outside of it just in case something decided to try and break through. Is this tall enough to keep out coyotes, foxes, raccoons??? Do I need to put a poultry netting roof?? I moved 22 chicks in there last night so I'm paranoid.

Fence is 5' tall welded wire and I have pallets running around the outside of it just in case something decided to try and break through. Is this tall enough to keep out coyotes, foxes, raccoons??? Do I need to put a poultry netting roof?? I moved 22 chicks in there last night so I'm paranoid.
The provisions that you've made will not keep out any of the vermin that you listed, but those provisions are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Sorry.

Even coyote can climb if hunger warants it,but you're secret weapon would be a hot wire right at the peak of the fence both coons and coyotes that scale the fence would get a chin full of electric fence,you also could add two low strands on the outside of the perimeter, just keep all strands free of brush to keep it from becoming shorted out ,electric fence is a chickens best defence if installed properly.

I ended up moving them back inside in the middle of the night. 5' welded wire with a poultry netting roof has worked flawlessly on the main hen house for 4 years. I'm going to put poultry netting over the new run and move them back over. These will be my new provisions for the vermin I speak of.

Coyotes can clear a 6 foot fence with ease. And raccoons are primarily tree dwellers, so they are very adept at climbing. A sturdy covering over the run or electric wire around the top and bottom of the fence will keep out most ground predators.

Back
Top Bottom