Fence Post Alternatives??

lizzy14

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Rochester area/WNY
Hi
smile.png
I hope this doesn't seem like too silly of a question....
So our coop is all done except for some finishing touches and we will soon be moving onto the run. My father has been helping us along and I have been trying to score deals on materials to save on costs. I found some chain-link fence on CL without the fence posts and my dad said that would be fine, because we could use the wood 2x6's (? not sure I have the terminology here right). Well, now he's saying they aren't sturdy enough to support the fence. (
he.gif
...I won't even tell you about how far I drove into timbuktu to get the fence, which I would NOT have gotten if I knew we'd have to purchase posts)
My question is, has anyone used something besides traditional metal posts for a chain-link fence? I'm looking on CL to see what we can find and hoping we don't need to spend the $$ for new fence posts, which from the looks of it are at least $13 apiece!
Any ideas?
Thanks
wink.png

I can't point you in a super-cheap direction, only a possible cheaper one. When I shopped around I found that 10 ft long 4x4 pressure-treated posts were the cheapest material in my area, running $10 each. Even the round, wooden fence posts were more expensive. Don't forget about the cost of cement for setting the posts, if that's what you have had in mind.

you could dig and set 4X4 posts into the ground and attach your chain link to it. There are also round posts at the farm stores used for corner posts for horse fencing. All of those will likely need to be set in cement. (even if you had the posts for the chain link, it would need to be set in cement) I wouldn't use metal t-posts, though. They can bend pretty easily- my horse can just lean on one and bend it over.

You can buy the 4 x 4 's and use them as fence post. You do not have to set them in cement. Tamp them down as hard as you can. How many 2 x 6's do you have and how long are they?

You could use them along the top of your fence between the 4 x 4's to give support at the corners.

Post an ad on freecycle for the 4 x 4's or for small wooden fence post. You can attach the chain link fence to wooden posts or steel posts and have a nice pen.

(I rarely set any of my post in cement... Some of my posts that hold a gate are in cement, and my hitching post are in cement. )

You can build a frame with treated 2 X 4's .

You don't have to dig post holes or use cement

No one does it on tractors. but many seem to think it has to be done on larger runs

I also use the green steel U posts from Lowes..they are pretty reasonably prices and come in a variety of lengths. I have found them fairly easy to pound into the ground in areas that are not rocky as well..

Quote:
Not for a chain-link fence, but I did make my own 6 1/2' tall fencing by welding rebar to T-posts, welding a loop on the top, then suspending the chicken wire from #9 galvanized wire running thru the loops that is fastened to the heavy Osage-Orange corner posts. The base of the chicken wire is fastened to buried plastic coated 1X2 fencing that is buried about 6 inches and extends up about 12 inches. (See my BYC page for pics of my setup, including the fencing for the run)

Cedar post are great, but not everyone has access to them. You could post an ad on CL and see if anyone has any for sale.

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses! I know that my dad does not plan on using cement for the posts. He's a bit of a know it all so I'm trying to learn from all of your knowledge so that I know what our options are! We are going to Tractor Supply in the a.m. for hardware cloth & to look around.

Back
Top Bottom