fence suggestions...

I used to let my chickens range across 5 acres until the predators started to get the upper hand (and I got tired of cleaning poop off my patio--and I got tired of them digging up my garden). I have used hogwire and t-posts but found the best solution to be electric poultry netting that I can move around to new grass after they decimate what they're on. I use a solar charger. The netting is green and blends into the landscape pretty well. Occasionally lighter chickens will fly over, so I clip wings when necessary. The system was pricey compared to other options but it has worked well for 4 yrs now.

I use 2"x4" welded wire for the fence. I join two runs of wire that are 4 feet tall. I mount the top 6 feet on posts and lay the remaining 2 feet on the ground and cover it with soil to prevent digging under the fence. I cover the bottom 2 feet with chicken wire on the inside to prevent reaching through the fence.

Now the chickens can make their way over the 6-foot fence. I covered one of my runs with the small mesh deer netting to keep them inside. The other run has lengths of cord running over the run along its length every 6 inches. This doesn't work well. The chickens fly up to the top of the fence and squirm through the strings. I'm going to change this to deer netting.

I'd consider building a pen with a top big enough to hold all my birds 24/7, if need be, especially at night, for predator protection. That's really not so hard, I'm no carpenter and I built a 16 x 16 sq ft one with salt-treated (I know some people don't like salt-treated lumber but anything else rots or gets termites here in the humid south) 2 x 4's for the top and 4 x 4 posts. That provides 256 sq ft, easily enough to give 10 birds 25 sq ft each or 25 birds 10 sq ft each. I chose 16 x 16 because most lumber comes in 8 foot pieces and didn't have to do as much sawing. I covered the whole thing with 4 ft turkey wire, using hog rings where needed to connect the wire and flared out and buried the bottom edge of the wire. I added chicken wire to the sides to keep songbirds out and chicks in. But don't rely on just chicken wire for predator protection. I let my birds run in the fenced-in yard occasionally, and I did use metal T-posts and turkey wire for that. It's mainly just to keep the birds at home and neighborhood dogs out. Unfortunately we have a lot of hawks, hence I decided on a secure pen with a top and only let my birds run occasionally. Such a pen with a top would also be nice if you want to go away for a weekend.

I need some suggestions on how to keep my chickens contained. What has worked and not worked for you? I'm in North Central Ohio. Down to 4 chickens -started last March with six. My beloved Plymouth Rock rooster was hit on the road and killed in Dec. then 6 weeks later my favorite RIR hen; Freckles, met the same fate. I'm devastated and decided to fence them in. However, given that the ground is frozen, there will be a temporary smaller enclosure until I can permanently fence in almost the entire acre. My property is one acre, rectangular in shape. The house and garage are on the South end and the rest is a bit of yard and 2/3 of the entire acre is pasture for the horse and donkey. Temp. enclosure for chickens will be pretty much the yard then in summer I will fence in from the edge of house and all of the pasture. I know, that's a lot of fence! I feel strongly about letting the girls have access to all those juicy bugs that are attracted to the horse and donkey! Ok, here's where I need advice... what "kind" of fencing does everyone recommend and how do you secure it? Wire? what gauge, hole size, height...etc... T-posts or wooden stakes? how far apart? what to use to secure fence to post? I want to draw from your experience and advice to do safe and effective fencing once. Thanks, I appreciate your wisdom. Dawn
I got T-poles 5' long and pounded them in so 3' was above ground six feet apart. I used rolls of 3' fencing made of wire with 2x3 inch rectangular holes from Hoome Depot. Then I just wired the fencing to the polls in 3 places on each pole. It is enough to keep the chickens safe. Mine never tried to jump over. they just wander around and will go along the fence at times. Never tried to jump out.

There's a very good book, soft cover, on fencing for livestock. It's available online, and it's our best reference. Whenever we 'cheated' on the instructions given, it didn't go well.
Woven wire fencing, 2x4" openings, 4' tall, with electric tape on top, and set close to the ground. Wood post assemblies at corners, and every 200' of run, and steel posts in between. It isn't foolproof, because many chickens can go over it, but if life is good on the right side, it's good most of the time. We have horses and cattle, and installed about a mile of it here long ago. (NEVER AGAIN!) will we do that much, can't!
Most of my birds don't go through the section of 4x4" 'goat fencing' we have in one area, where there are no horses, but of course bantams and smaller chickens can. It's much less expensive, but for the best results, use the 2x4" horse fencing.
Mary
Sounds like a great fence, but I agree that it's way expensive to do now. Can you tell me the name of the fencing book you mentioned. Thanks so much, Sheila

It's "Fences For Pasture and Garden" by Gail Damarow, available several sites.
The 4x4" goat fencing will contain most large breed adult chickens, not juveniles, and not good for horse fencing either.
Mary

So glad to see more replies to this post! I'm going with fencing that is 4 feet tall. I think personally, I would come to regret anything shorter. I'm also choosing fencing with 2" x 4" hole openings. I have RIR and Plymouth Rocks and one person said they saw theirs go through 4 x4 openings! I came across a VERY HELPFUL website that give you all the info you need to make an educated choice. http://blog.redbrand.com/

Back
Top Bottom