Fencing for all...

BarredCometLaced

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Northern NH
What is a good fence that will hold back pigs and contain sheep and horses? Is there such a fence or combination?

Looking for something long lasting and preferably non electric...

THANKS!

I'm not certain as we have only fenced for horses.... but a 3 board fence is a sturdy, safe choice for horses... and then to keep out other critters I would add on chicken wire (finally, a use!) or something better like hardwire cloth. That would hold up as well as anything... except maybe a stone wall. I'd like a wall....

Quote:
Exactly! I do not own livestock (Just chickens and dogs) so I have never worked with cattle panels but I have heard they are very easy to put up and work well for various animals. Many people use them for their goats (and you know how hard it is to keep goats fenced in).
Good luck!

Cattle panels are expensive.

4 X 4 "goat fencing" will hold all those animals IF you run a couple of hot wires on the inside to keep the sheep and pigs off of it, and a hot wire at the top to keep the horses from leaning over it

If you plan to breed those animals, I think you 'd be better off to keep them seperated most of the time

Electric fencing works great! It only takes one or two bumps on it and they will leave the fence alone after that. My poor dogs hit it 4 years ago. To this day they will only touch the gate part of the fence. I kept 4 horses in a chain link enclosure for 2 years, one of which was a Clydesdale/quarter x. I had the hot wire on for one week and then turned it off. The fence was pristine when I moved out of there. I have a friend who keeps 2 horses in an enclosure made of wire fencing and T posts. They don't touch the fence. It is not extremely painful for them to touch it (I've hit it a couple of times on accident) and it does not leave any type of injury on them.

I wasn't thinking of keeping them together, but i wanted the pastures to be multi purpose so that i could rotate their use.

How much space should i give a pig and her litter? Like if a pig has 6-10 piglets and i raise the piglets to butchering size? There would only be two-three seasonal residents. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom