Fencing for chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Flyboy718, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    What is the cheapest solution to keeping my chickens out of my small garden plot...it's 8' X 12' and I have two 4' X 4' raised beds also. I need to keep them out of the flower bed also. It needs to be real cheap. I hate to not let them free range in the afternoons like I have been doing.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

I'm going to assume "free range" means you allow them some time outside their run, in the back yard? The cheapest, and easiest to handle temporary fencing is poly netting. Sometimes this is sold as deer netting at Home Depot or anywhere gardening supplies are sold. We must have a thousand feet of it and it works great for deer and chickens. Super light weight, not stiff, can be attached to a few poles simply using zip ties .

With care, it will last for years and years. We take ours out of the weather after the gardening season.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used that stuff and it's great. Super light, easier to work w/ than chicken wire.

Now, I wanna know how Fred has grass--lush, green grass--in a run. Clearly he's a wizard who has cast some spell...

4. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Thanks guys.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That's the beauty of the poly fencing. As you know very well, that lush grass didn't last a week with a dozen pullets in it. [​IMG]
    Move the fencing, move the group.

6. tie a goose with a string long enough it can protect the garden, the chickens come close NIP XD despite the fact that they eat grass too and this way would be horrid XD

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

Big problem here is finding goose training classes. I recommend Fred's advice. [​IMG]

8. it was a joke..

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by