Fencing for Garden

AMD10

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
I am looking for recommendations on keeping the chickens out of the raised beds. Would a 4ft chicken wire fence work? It would not have a perch. Would 5ft be better? We had a black netting but that fell and they got right in. Thankfully there hasn’t been much going on, vegetable wise in there, so I’m hoping they don’t try too hard.
IMG_3623.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    950.2 KB · Views: 5
4’ poultry netting keeps in 6 of my 7 birds, at least as long as there is no platform near the inside of the fence that can give them a height advantage from which they can launch themselves. These are sedate birds, golden comets, wyandottes, black australorp, olive egger - all but my Easter egger who’s a bit of a wild child. So it really depends on your birds.

I like the poly tunnel idea. For me it was difficult getting sides pulled out of the way to tend things.

This year I am planning on making removable wood framed panels and using chicken wire as the mesh and 2x2's with 1x2's to sandwich the wire. I think a "lid" made the same way will keep mine under control.

I like the poly tunnel idea. For me it was difficult getting sides pulled out of the way to tend things.

This year I am planning on making removable wood framed panels and using chicken wire as the mesh and 2x2's with 1x2's to sandwich the wire. I think a "lid" made the same way will keep mine under control.
If you get this worked out please report back! And pix would be great! 😊

Poly tunnel would be easier, at first I used 6ft fence with barbed wire and clipped wings eventually I moved to electric poultry netting letting them get zapped. after that I just put up cheap white trellising to mimick and they stay far away.

Back
Top Bottom