Fencing HELP

khable

Songster
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
LaGrangeville, NY
Hi all,

I know this has been asked before... but I am in a pickle here and just don't know what to do....

I am trying to finish up the run for our new coop.

I orignially wanted to go with either 1x1 or 1x2 welded wire fencing.... based on what i have been reading that seems to be the best choice!

BUT!! I either can't find it or it is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!
he.gif

Can someone help me figure out a SAFE alternative to these?? How about the bigger welded wire w/ chicken wire inside??

Or 2 layers of chicken wire???

idunno.gif

My girls will be out in the run during the day and safely locked in their coop at night.

I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, 2 different feed stores and have called a bunch of places!

hu.gif

Can I get some opinions please?? I was really hoping to buy it today / tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
I used chain link on one side it was free. Then other side of run is 2X4 welded wire with garden netting covering it. I too had to go with what was around at the time and how much it cost. The garden netting works great plus it covers the top of my run. I had it for years now and no problems its great in a pinch and price is right about $6 at lowes.

Chicken wire on the inside?? Why on the inside of the 2x4 welded wire?

I just put mine on the outside but have only done half the run ... did I mess up? I buried the chicken wire about 8 to 12 inches down with a 90 degree angle at the bottom (some places had such hard clay we couldn't dig any deeper) and ran it 2 feet up the side.

I put it on the inside so the varmints can't pull it off the outside and go thru the 2x4 holes. Also, chicks can't get caught between the chicken wire and the welded wire if the chicken wire is on the inside.

I angle the welded wire out in an "L" from the fence because of rock about 3" below the surface, and I can't bury it.

Thank you all for your suggestions.....

I found 2x3 wire welded mesh that was on sale at our local hardware store. $ 22 for 50 ft roll. I got 2 rolls....
yippiechickie.gif

I may end up wrapping the Chicken wire along the bottom inside. Well see tho...

I think this will be enough protection. I don't think I have a big predator problem but I am not real sure cause i have never had chickens.

fl.gif

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom