Fencing Issue

I know most people are pro concrete (or equivalent) but I think it helps wood rot. Crushed rock/gravel is a better post base.

And I worry that an H brace on posts that are shallow sunk will not hold up well.

I agree. Gravel let's the water drain away from the post. Concrete will absorb and hold water. Whichever you use, make sure the post is rated for ground contact.

I like the proposed configuration of your wires, although I would probably still alternate a ground wire between the hot wires too, depending on how determined the critters are with getting in there. Skunks will try to go under your lowest wire so a grounded wire or a narrow piece of chicken wire or hardware cloth laid on the ground under the last hot wire would be good too. It’ll try to squeeze between and touch both. I’ve had skunks slip past a wire 4” off the ground until I put a ground wire down where they had to step. 🤦‍♀️ But if your primary concern is the dogs, and skunks are an afterthought for “just in case” you’ll be fine with that setup. Bait the wires and listen for the yelps. 🤣
most of the fence energizers made for miles of fence will be low impedance, but it’s a good idea to find a couple that’re in the budget you want, and look them up on the manufacturers website prior to purchase to make sure it’s what you want. I have a Parmak that’s meant for a short distance but is low impedance and shocks through grass and brush and everything just fine. Gallagher is a bit more expensive but usually a good choice. Most important is that it’s an intermittent pulse, and not sustained, because if anything gets stuck in a fence that gives a continuous shock it’ll die. I don’t know how common those kind are anymore but...

I agree. Gravel let's the water drain away from the post. Concrete will absorb and hold water. Whichever you use, make sure the post is rated for ground contact.
So, should i insert the rebars into the post and then fill the post hole with gravel, or don't drill holes into the post to keep the surface area, where water can attack smaller?
What kind of gravel? Coarse gravel with large rocks of finer gravel with small rocks?

I like the proposed configuration of your wires, although I would probably still alternate a ground wire between the hot wires too, depending on how determined the critters are with getting in there. Skunks will try to go under your lowest wire so a grounded wire or a narrow piece of chicken wire or hardware cloth laid on the ground under the last hot wire would be good too. It’ll try to squeeze between and touch both. I’ve had skunks slip past a wire 4” off the ground until I put a ground wire down where they had to step. 🤦‍♀️ But if your primary concern is the dogs, and skunks are an afterthought for “just in case” you’ll be fine with that setup. Bait the wires and listen for the yelps. 🤣
most of the fence energizers made for miles of fence will be low impedance, but it’s a good idea to find a couple that’re in the budget you want, and look them up on the manufacturers website prior to purchase to make sure it’s what you want. I have a Parmak that’s meant for a short distance but is low impedance and shocks through grass and brush and everything just fine. Gallagher is a bit more expensive but usually a good choice. Most important is that it’s an intermittent pulse, and not sustained, because if anything gets stuck in a fence that gives a continuous shock it’ll die. I don’t know how common those kind are anymore but...
The main purpose of that fence is to deal with the immediate thread of the neighbors dog, during the last months i have not seen any predator here, which could have been caused by that dog, roaming the neighboring property.
The energizer is from a company called Fi-Shock and is »made in America« and can be registered on the internet site https://AmericanFarmWorks.com, which re-directs to https://www.zarebasystems.com/AmericanFarmworks - so i assume it is made by Zarebra-Systems. I hooked up the fence tester and it is pulsating to 7,000 Volts which should be enough to deter Max.
I need to figure out how to attach the PolyWire to the posts and at the distance between the posts and a lot of other details.
No fence will go up today, sadly as the ground is still frozen solid here!!! :barnie

So, should i insert the rebars into the post and then fill the post hole with gravel, or don't drill holes into the post to keep the surface area, where water can attack smaller?
What kind of gravel? Coarse gravel with large rocks of finer gravel with small rocks?

Can't picture what you're planning with the rebar. In a ideal situation, gravel is the best choice to set post. However, if your only able to get the post a foot deep, concrete may be the best choice to anchor the post.

Can't picture what you're planning with the rebar. In a ideal situation, gravel is the best choice to set post. However, if your only able to get the post a foot deep, concrete may be the best choice to anchor the post.
The idea was to drill two holes through the fence post at a 90° angle, at different heights and hammer one foot pieces of rebar through the holes to serve as an attachment point for the concrete - or the gravel.
Code:
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
--------------|    |----------------- ground
              |    |
              |    |
              |  O |
           ===|    |=== rebar, sticking out
              |    |

The idea was to drill two holes through the fence post at a 90° angle, at different heights and hammer one foot pieces of rebar through the holes to serve as an attachment point for the concrete - or the gravel.
Code:
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
              |    |
--------------|    |----------------- ground
              |    |
              |    |
              |  O |
           ===|    |=== rebar, sticking out
              |    |

Ok. I understand. It would definitely help stabilize the post as long as they extended out far enough, but the longer they are, the bigger your hole needs to be.. I would lean towards concrete if your only able to dig 16".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom