Fencing options

Htwo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 5, 2018
SWMO, Nixa
We're finished with the corner and gate posts for the new run (and large, attached 60'x60' garden area) and now wondering what type of fencing we should use for the run. We'll use field fence for the garden, and I was thinking of just using field fence for the extended run too, but what are the risks? We plan to let the girls out in the extended run during the day and they will go back into their coop at night. I do not plan on doing a skirt for this run, but am using concrete blocks around the outside perimeter and planting herbs and flowers in the holes of the blocks. The top will be dressed with a heavy bird netting to deter chicken hawks and eagles. Otherwise, we have a very territorial german shepherd that won't let anything close to the area during the day. Let me know your thoughts!
chicken run.jpg

Depending on your specific type of field fence, the holes might be large enough to allow juvenile birds to run through them, which can be a problem if you plan on raising any new ones. Also, predators can get through, but I doubt that's a problem between the dog and the closed coop.

I can't think of any other considerations, but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

Good luck.

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

My interior fences are field fencing. They do allow juveniles and sometime even full grown birds through... if they already know they can make it from their younger days especially. I love the affordability and ease of use.

Although I have 3 territorial dogs... alas they think they should be with me. So them guarding the pasture is more by chance.

On the exterior property fencing, I use the kinds that is only 2 inches wide and to prevent goats or other animals from stepping on it. My dogs can't get their heads through. And I figure anyone walking by can't reach in as easy. It's a bit pricier and heavier but also a very good product.

I have had several different dogs show up on the other side of the fence. So far none have been able to make entry. But when I first started learning about field fencing and didn't have it tight enough, my own dogs were able to push under into my goat pen. But your plan sounds pretty solid.

Should you need added protection... I love the electric fence being so easy to add to the t post... and VERY effective if installed correctly.

Netting is a great idea.. I lost 3 chicks recently for the first time after free ranging for more than 8 years.

Sounds like your set up will be great! :wee

Depending on your specific type of field fence, the holes might be large enough to allow juvenile birds to run through them, which can be a problem if you plan on raising any new ones. Also, predators can get through, but I doubt that's a problem between the dog and the closed coop.

I can't think of any other considerations, but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

Good luck.

Thanks! My girls are 1 year old RIR's. They definitely won't fit through. If we do raise new babies in the future, they can be confined to the coop run until they are large enough to go out in the larger area. OR we could add hardware cloth to the bottom 3-4' of the field fence.

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

My interior fences are field fencing. They do allow juveniles and sometime even full grown birds through... if they already know they can make it from their younger days especially. I love the affordability and ease of use.

Although I have 3 territorial dogs... alas they think they should be with me. So them guarding the pasture is more by chance.

On the exterior property fencing, I use the kinds that is only 2 inches wide and to prevent goats or other animals from stepping on it. My dogs can't get their heads through. And I figure anyone walking by can't reach in as easy. It's a bit pricier and heavier but also a very good product.

I have had several different dogs show up on the other side of the fence. So far none have been able to make entry. But when I first started learning about field fencing and didn't have it tight enough, my own dogs were able to push under into my goat pen. But your plan sounds pretty solid.

Should you need added protection... I love the electric fence being so easy to add to the t post... and VERY effective if installed correctly.

Netting is a great idea.. I lost 3 chicks recently for the first time after free ranging for more than 8 years.

Sounds like your set up will be great! :wee

The 2"x3" field fence is what we have, so that's what we'd use for this fence. The main reason for the exterior fence is to keep deer out of the garden. Keeping my dog out is important too, which is why we decided to use 4x4 corner posts to ensure a tight fit. We'll use t posts in between. I also love the idea of the electric fence along the exterior! Thank you for your reply!

Will the coop be inside the run?
The door on the current coop/run will be inside the new run area. The new run fencing will meet each side of the front of the current run/coop (the yellow posts in the pic). This is so that we can still access the eggs and back of coop from outside the garden fence/run area. The current coop and run have a 3' skirt.

We finished (just need to put the bird netting on top) the outdoor run this weekend! My girls LOVED it! I dumped 3 tractor buckets of old composting mulch and oak leaves in there right after we finished.. It was about 4' tall and they had it scratched through and kicked down in about 2 hours. It was so fun to watch them find something and chase each other around!
IMG_20180325_190434_018.jpg

Oh, and we opted to go ahead and do a buried skirt on the run, and used 1/2" hardware cloth instead of field fence. It was a bit more work, but we figured this would give us a bit more peace of mind in the event we're out late or gone for the day while the girls are out.

Back
Top Bottom