Fencing project for my goats. My biggest project yet

Pics

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
Never had a thread to show my work but I'm pretty proud of the progress in one day. 45. 8' long wood posts and 50 80 lb bags of sakrete .Still 50 metal posts and 3 rolls of fence to go. But not bad for a 5 ft 100 lb me and my 59 yr old coworker who lives in the city. My father did help but had to distract him because he forgets he's 70 and has a bad back until after he over works himself . My new place is coming together. Getting more done outside than inside bit thats normal. Now I won't lie. My biggest help was the skid steer with auger attachment. It was also the most fun 20191102_171124.jpg
20191102_171032.jpg
20191102_170914.jpg

Looking good Rachel.
I don't know what type of wire fencing you intend to fit to the posts. I use stock net here. It will, correctly erected hold a charging ram.
These are a couple of pictures of a very small amount of the fencing I've put up here.
Both types are strong. The post and rail with the stocknet sandwiched between the uprights and the rail is the stronger fence but it's more expensive to do.
What I would suggest is you fit some corner post struts if you intend to tension whatever wire fencing you use.
No concrete was used for any of the fences here.
PC260803.JPG

SAM_2675.JPG

You can buy posts with machined points on them here which you drive into the ground.
PC301221.JPG

I'm going to see how this fence holds up to that. I'm setting smaller panels of 4x4 wire the posts near they're shelter hoping the will groom there. Mine do wear the welded wire fence so I'm hoping this will be better but I did think about electric. I left the posts a little higher than the fence in case I need a electric line up top. I'm hoping 4 with almost an acre will help spread that out ..and I'll be adding as time goes on
Are you gonna line the inside with electric to keep the goats off the fence? Mine like to lean in and rub along their sides without electric. They wear it out quickly.

I will be curious to see if it helps to have a scratching area. Goats can challenge everything you do. They are good at finding what they can exploit. It's one thing that I actually enjoy, out thinking a goat. :)

Do your goats have horns? I had problems with goats getting their heads stuck in fencing with 4x4 openings. Mostly younger ones.

Back
Top Bottom