Fencing question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by absrio, Apr 5, 2011.

1. absrio

absrio New Egg

Feb 20, 2010
    Will 2x4x60" welded wire alone work for the run. Or will I have to a small wire on the bottom couple feet. My main predators would be dogs, foxes, coyote, opossum, raccoon, and Hawks. I would use T-post for the mounting. I would like to use the premier electronet, but it doesn't sound like it will work to good with the snow we get in Indiana.

2. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    need to have hardware cloth at the bottom

3. WildChicken

WildChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Fitzgerald, GA
    Welded wire should work well for you without having to put anything else at the bottom. I used this for my coop accept I used the 72" 2x4 welded wire. I also used it for the top of my run as well. I had dog problems that wiped me out a couple of years back when I was using chicken wire. I won't ever make that mistake again. Just make sure that the wire is good and tight at the bottom and secure it to treated lumber or something similar as the base around your run. I would also create a 2' buffer all around the run with welded wire buried 2 or 3 inches below the ground to keep predators from digging in. If they are determined enough they will try their best to get in. Usually when stray dogs come around they can be extremely determined animals. The have that pack mentallity and seem to go into some kind of a frenzy when trying to get in.

Good Luck!!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    2x4' is not bad as daytime-only fencing. You'd want to make real real sure your flock is locked up by dusk every night.

Its main weakness is that things can reach through -- baby chicks can pop out, chickens can poke their heads thru and get them ripped off by a predator they didn't see coming or couldn't get away from b/c not getting their head unstuck from the fence fast enough, and predators can reach arms thru and rip apart chickens who had the misfortune to fall asleep too near the fence.

Thus it is safER if you can add something small-meshed to the lower 2-3'. Even if it is not super strong (e.g. chickenwire) it will at least keep chicks in and slow down the reach-thru problem, which will avoid most incidents.

If you want to add one or more electric wires (on standoff insulators) to the fence you certainly can... you would not want to use electronet for a permanent installation, unless you have 'renter' issues, and you're right, it won't work for you in wintertime.

Remember you will also probably oughta do something to keep critters from digging under the fence. I'd suggest an apron of fencewire maybe 2-3' wide laid on the ground outside the run fence, strongly affixed to the base of the run fence and with the end securely pinned or weighted down. You can cover it with whatever, or leave it for the grass to grow thru, as you wish.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by